Local

The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art joins list of organizations closing due to coronavirus

Note: The Kansas City Star and McClatchy News Sites have lifted the paywall on our websites for this developing story, ensuring this critical information is available for all readers. Please consider a digital subscription to continue supporting vital reporting like this.  

The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art is closing its doors for three weeks as part of the growing effort across the region to halt the spread of the novel coronavirus.

The museum, which had already made changes to its schedule of events, announced Friday afternoon that it will close on Saturday and not reopen until April 3, according to a news release.

During that time, the release said, all events will be canceled. After the April 3, the release said, the museum will reassess the situation.

“We recognize that during challenging times, art can be a source of inspiration, comfort and human expression,” said Julián Zugazagoitia, Menefee D. and Mary Louise Blackwell CEO and director of The Nelson-Atkins in the release. “The Nelson-Atkins will continue to be that source, and we encourage our guests to visit online for information and updates.”

The Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art announced Friday it would also be closing its doors and canceling or postponing events until April 4.

The museums joins a growing list of Kansas City businesses and destinations closing their doors and canceling events in response to the rapidly spreading COVID-19 and declarations of states of emergency by local, national and state officials.

Disney on Ice announced Friday that it would be canceling shows scheduled for March 26 through March 29 at the Sprint Center.

Other tours at the venue, as well as others across the region, had already been canceled.

The Kansas City, Kansas, Public Library joined others in the metro Friday canceling all programming through April.

Similarly, all networking and other events held by the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce with more than 50 in-person attendees were canceled Friday.

The announcements followed similar decisions across the metro.

The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts announced Thursday that all performances until April 1 would be canceled.

In a news release Friday the American Theatre Guild asked guests to hang on to their tickets, saying the guild would be in touch in the next seven to 14 days with information about rescheduling.

Find a full list of closings and cancellations so far, go here.

This story was originally published March 13, 2020 at 3:27 PM.

Katie Bernard
The Kansas City Star
Katie Bernard covered Kansas politics and government for the Kansas City Star from 20219-2024. Katie was part of the team that won the Headliner award for political coverage in 2023.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER