Man who worked at Missouri pork plant dies after testing positive for coronavirus
A man who worked at a Missouri pork plant that has been linked to a large coronavirus outbreak has died after testing positive for COVID-19, according to city officials.
The man, a Buchanan County resident who was in his 40s, tested positive for COVID-19 on April 22, said Mary Robertson, a spokesperson for the city of St. Joseph. He was reported to have underlying health conditions, according to a news release that was issued earlier Wednesday announcing the death.
Robertson said in an email Wednesday night that the man was an employee at Triumph Foods, a pork processing plant located in St. Joseph. No further details have been released about his death.
A total of 412 employees and contract workers from Triumph Foods received positive results for COVID-19 after testing efforts ramped up last week, the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services reported. The workers were not showing symptoms at the time of the tests, the state said.
The 412 cases were found out of 2,367 workers who were tested at the plant from April 27 to May 1.
This story was originally published May 6, 2020 at 10:08 PM.