‘Peace of mind’: KC-area eateries still navigating COVID-19, some closing temporarily
Downtown Overland Park’s Maloneys Sports Bar & Grill put COVID-19 precautions in place and cautiously reopened its dining room in mid-May after a two-month shutdown during shelter-in-place orders.
But earlier this month, it opted to shut down again when an employee tested positive.
It hired one local company to do “hospital grade cleaning from top to bottom.” Another business tested the 56 workers with both antibody and nasal swab tests — a precaution the restaurant plans to repeat every seven to 10 days.
“We weren’t mandated to close, but it’s for peace of mind,” manager Scott Wenta said Tuesday. “We went above and beyond. Then if it happens again we can be on top of it immediately.”
Restaurants were eager to reopen and recoup some sales lost during the shutdowns. But some — from the River Market to south Overland Park — have chosen to close temporarily again as staff members exhibit COVID-19 symptoms, test positive or come in close contact with someone who did.
Many locations are navigating the pandemic and doing what they feel is best for business and the public good.
The Kansas City Health Department has provided guidelines on re-opening restaurants, bars and taverns in coordination with Mayor Quinton Lucas’ orders and consultation with the Missouri Restaurant Association.
The restaurant group has been holding events to test workers for COVID-19 this week and said people who have come in contact with an employee who tested positive should be tested if they have been within 6 feet of the person for more than 15 minutes.
“Overall there was a weird lack of guidelines from the top, probably national. Now the health department does have some stuff on their website,” said David Friesen, owner of Betty Rae’s Ice Cream in the River Market and Waldo.
He temporarily shut both locations down in late June when a part-timer’s family member tested positive. The locations have since re-opened.
“But you feel like you are going down the stream without a paddle,” he said. “That’s why we closed this time, to be as safe as possible.”
Many businesses are still feeling the effects of COVID-19. A very popular Starbucks at 4101 Main St. confidently expanded its hours in mid-May. Days later it temporarily shut down again. A spokesman said there was not a confirmed case of COVID-19 at the store, but an employee had a fever. It reopened a few days later.
This week the Starbucks blocked off parking lot entrances and posted a sign on the front door: “Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience. We are working to re-open our store as quickly as possible.”
In a statement, the Starbucks spokesman said it was a similar situation as in mid-May with “no positive cases – the store closed as a precaution after a few partners indicated potential symptoms.” It is scheduled to reopen Wednesday with limited hours.
Other operations are more being more transparent, explaining their COVID-19 shutdowns on social media sites.
On Monday, Grinders in the Crossroads said it “had fallen victim to COVID.” It is temporarily closing for a week after an employee tested positive. Grinders said the employee had not worked in the restaurant or visited the site for 15 days but feared the person may have come in contact with co-workers while they were asymptomatic.
Meanwhile, Grinders said it will do another round of deep cleaning and chemical sanitization.
Grinders was already checking employees’ temperatures before shifts, making sure everyone wears masks at all times, monitoring handwashing, providing hand sanitizer, and ”exceeding compliance” with all social distancing guidelines. Most customers choose to sit outside.
Westport’s Port Fonda announced its temporary closing with a June 21 post on Facebook, saying a staff member had tested positive: “We are going to be closed until further notice. Maybe we will see you on the other side!”
Owner Patrick Ryan declined to comment.
But fans of the Mexican restaurant posted positive comments. “Besides having the best food and great service, doing the responsible thing and being completely transparent about it is another reason you are the first restaurant I recommend to people who ask where to eat in KC! Be ready, I’m ordering double when you reopen!!!” And, “I know this was painful, but thank you.”
On Sunday, Harry’s Bar & Tables in Westport also announced on Facebook that it would temporarily close after a team member tested positive for COVID-19.
Sunset Grill in south Overland Park posted a message on Facebook on Tuesday saying one of its daytime prep cooks was exposed. It is closed while employees are tested and the restaurant is cleaned and disinfected. The Sunset Grill owners couldn’t be reached for comment.
On March 13, Ragazza Food & Wine, just north of the Country Club Plaza, was celebrating a year of great sales and energy at its new, larger location. Days later came the shelter-in-place order.
It offered carryout — customers sent in photos of chowing down meals in their homes — and then opened its doors for dine-in in early June, a couple of weeks after it was allowed.
“I was leery with the nursing home outbreaks,” said owner Laura Norris. “But people were so excited to come back.”
On June 19, it shut down again when three kitchen employees tested positive. Two of the employees are roommates and the other visits them socially. No other Ragazza employees have tested positive for COVID-19, so the restaurant reopened Thursday.
This story was originally published July 15, 2020 at 5:00 AM.