KC Gardens

These mushrooms just popped up. Can I eat them?

New mushrooms in yard.
New mushrooms in yard.

QUESTION:

I'm wondering if you can tell me if the mushrooms in the pictures are edible. I just noticed them in my yard last night and then they bloomed this morning. Thank you! - Stephanie

ANSWER:

No, absolutely not. Never eat a mushroom unless you have a positive identification based on things like the species, anatomy, cap shape, surface texture and gill spacing. In short, you must be totally certain that a mushroom is edible before ingesting it. Some can be fatal. Just knock over the caps of the mushrooms in your lawn and let them desiccate on their own. They will be gone in a few days.

The heat and moisture are causing a lot of fungi to pop up now. Most of the fungi themselves are underground, and the group as a whole are extremely beneficial and indeed essential to soil and plant health.

Mushroom identification takes a lot of study and practice to become an expert. Here is the link to the Missouri Department of Conservation guidelines on Basic Mushrooming, which provides ideas for learning more about this subject.: http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/outdoor-recreation/mushrooming/basic-mushrooming.

Carole - Johnson County Extension Master Gardener

  Comments