Yes, hard as it is, we must now tear ourselves away from baseball and start thinking in earnest about football. Did you know we have an NFL team here in Kansas City?
Anyway, tell us what might be going on in this picture. Think funny. Then email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “10/31 caption contest” in the subject line, and include your name, city and phone number.
Deadline for entries is 11:59 p.m. Friday.
The winning caption scores a $25 gift card. The winner and runners-up will appear in FYI next Friday.
| Tim Engle, The Star
▪ “Mind if I pick your brain?” (Bernita Engelken, Bucyrus, Kan.)
▪ Polly Parrot pecks a piece of Peter Pumpkin’s peepers. (Roselea Nellis, Olathe)
▪ “My Royals blue is not afraid of your Giants orange!” (Betty Brooks, Marshall, Mo.)
▪ Polly want isosceles triangle, isosceles triangle, trapezoid, isosceles trapezoid, trapezoid. (Gary Ross, Parkville)
▪ Peckin’ an’ a grinnin’. (Linda Corbin, Shawnee)
▪ Ron Popeil introduces his latest invention: the Beak-O-Matic Pumpkin Carver. Just pet it and forget it! (Jerry Neal, Corder, Mo.)
▪ It’s all fun and games until someone gets his eyes pecked out. (Eva Allen, Kansas City)
▪ “Sorry, Jack. Polly doesn’t date guys with sad eyes and a hollow head.” (Pat Stone, Liberty)
▪ “She is my BOOtiful pumpkin.” (Jacob Guernsey, Olathe)
▪ “Polly wants pumpkin puree!” (Pat McGarry, Overland Park)
▪ “That’s right, Pumpkinhead. I’m talkin’ to you!” (Kathy Rogers, Overland Park)
LAST WEEK’S WINNER
Lots of “Polly want a … ?” and “You talkin’ to me?” But the winner was …
▪ I told you not to go to Renee Zellweger’s plastic surgeon. He’s an amateur carver! (Philip Lawrence, Kansas City)