B&B Shawnee 18 has newly opened ScreenPlay, an auditorium featuring not only a movie screen but playground equipment and other fun new features for kids.
“We’ve taken every effort to make sure that people are informed and that the expectations are clear,” said B&B rep Ryan Farnsworth. “It’s really encouraging to see even in little kids the excitement and the weird reverence they feel. When the lights go down, they know it’s time to watch the movie. Play time is play time, and movie time is movie time.”
Here’s what you need to know before you go:
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
▪ The ScreenPlay auditorium is at B&B’s Shawnee 18 at the intersection of Midland and I-435.
▪ B&B officials say only two other similar theaters exist in the U.S., both in the Los Angeles area.
▪ Admission price for ScreenPlay showings will run about $2 more per ticket.
▪ The auditorium features a long orange tube slide, a netted climbing area, fancy lights, a disco ball, some plastic animals for children to crawl around on, toddler activity areas and seats that are easily wiped down.
▪ The play areas are for kids ages 3 to 11.
▪ Each ScreenPlay showing will feature about 20 minutes of play time before the movie starts.
▪ The preshow instructs children to play during play time but to return to their seats during the film.
▪ A “B&B Buddy” is on hand during each screening, but parents are responsible for their children and may not leave them unattended.
▪ The films shown in ScreenPlay will feature a 15-minute intermission for more play time, restroom breaks or concession runs.
▪ Signage plainly states this is a special theater; films shown in the ScreenPlay auditorium will be shown elsewhere in the complex in regular auditoriums.