Over the last three years, May has been a troublesome month for Peter Vermes and Sporting Kansas City. Last night's 2-1 win over San Jose was the team's first win since 2009 in the month -- 13 games without a win.
Here are more stats, quotes and notes from last nights game in today's edition of The Leftovers.
• Last night was Kansas City's first win since April 18th, ending a four-game winless streak.
• The win puts KC at 25 points from 12 matches and a league-best 2.08 points per game. (As
@CincySporting mentions on Twitter
, KC has beaten three of the league's top teams and has yet to play Eastern bottom-feeders Toronto and Philadelphia.)
• If KC keeps up the 2.08 ppg average, it would end up in the neighborhood of 71 points.
• Currently, KC is third in the East. However, D.C. United (27 points) has played three more games than Sporting and New York (26 points) has played two more.
• Only Seattle has allowed less goals (9) this season than KC (10).
• C.J. Sapong opened the scoring, netting his fourth goal of the season and his first since April 1.
• When Sapong scores in his career, Sporting Kansas City is 9-0-0.
• Sporting Kansas City has now scored first in 9 of 12 games this season.
• What's more, KC is 7-1-1 when scoring first.
• Graham Zusi registered his seventh assist of the season, the second-most in MLS this year. (Zusi got the second assist on Sapong's goal; Kei Kamara got an assist for a pass that San Jose coach Frank Yallop described as "perfect.")
• It's worth showing that goal again -- thankfully, MLS shows all 15 passes.