The Full 90

Comets fall to Wichita at Sprint Center

Retro Night was not good to the Missouri Comets.

The Comets were unable to pull out a victory in their first ever appearance playing at the Sprint Center, losing 10-9 to rival Wichita.

There was an electric atmosphere to the night for sure, with the lights, thunder sticks and a halftime show featuring legends of the Major Indoor Soccer Leauge. But Comets coach Kim Roentved said none of it mattered to him without the win.

“We let our biggest crowd ever down,” said Roentved, whose team played in front of over 8,000 fans. “We are not happy with the effort to end such an amazing week here in the city.”

The matchup between the foes was the final event of a big soccer week in Kansas City that included the National Soccer Coaches Association of America’s annual convention and the MLS SuperDraft.

The Comets and Wings came out playing tough, but momentum swung to Wichita early in the first period when a defensive shutdown put the Comets on the ropes. This allowed the Wings’ Frederico Moojen to score on a power-play goal at the 8:15 mark that put the Wings up 2-0.

Missouri’s Geison took care of the deficit in no time though, scoring an unassisted three-point goal at the 12:12 mark that put the Comets up 3-2. That score help up through the end of the first quarter.

But Wichita opened the second quarter on all cylinders, connecting on a goal by Fausto at the 1:55 mark to put the Wings back up at 4-3.

The Comets did not regain the lead until Byron Alvarez scored off of a power play at 9:34 from a Wichita tripping penalty, putting the Comets up 5-4. The Wings, though, snatched the lead back almost immediately on Brian Cushing’s goal, putting them ahead 6-5.

But Vahid Assadpour answered with a goal of his own, and the Comets were in pretty good position with a 7-6 lead at the half.

“We felt pretty good at halftime,” Roentved said.

Some solid defense by both clubs marked the beginning of the third quarter, but Wichita found the net at the 7:45 mark on a goal by Daniel Villegas to put Wichita back up 8-7.

“I thought we needed a lot more energy in the third quarter after Wichita scored,” Roentved said. “I was not happy with the effort during that time.”

But the Comets were eventually able to answer. Lucas Rodriguez found the net at the 7:11 mark in the fourth quarter, and the Comets were once again in front at 9-8.

But that ended the scoring for the Comets, and they weren’t able to hold off Wichita as the game winded down.

Wichita ultimately derailed the Comets on Kevin Ten Eyck’s goal with less than 3 minutes remaining making it 10-9.

“It was a tough loss,” Roentved said, whose team fell to 9-8 with the loss.

“We had every opportunity to win this game and we are better than them but we didn’t play like it at times and it cost us the win. It’s never fun to lose to your rival but especially after such a great week of soccer in the city is tough.”