The MLS Players' Union have unleashed the most recent player salaries,* and there are quite a few interesting developments in Sporting-land.*Hat tip to Down the Byline for unearthing this yesterday.
Kansas City added five new players since May -- designated player Jeferson, rookie Soony Saad, defender Seth Sinovic, Haitian midfielder Peterson Joseph and Trinidad Tobago defender Daneil Cyrus.
Jeferson is now the highest-paid player on paper, earning $429,996 in base salary for this season -- and $484,996 in guaranteed compensation.
Although, that can be a little misconceiving. Omar Bravo on paper earns $120,000 base/$170,000 guaranteed but a source with knowledge of the situation told Terez Paylor in May when the figures were first released that Bravo is the highest paid player on the team and will earn more than a million dollars this season.*
Other items of note:
• Sinovic ($32,604 in base salary) has to be the best value in the league. Peter Vermes took a flier on the out-of-contract defender and wound up finding his starting left back. And he got him for less than the veteran minimum of $42,000. Sinovic is only 24, thus can make the Under-25 salary minimum.
• Much like Sinovic, Soony Saad is making the Under-25 salary minimum, earning $32,604. (In case you're wondering, the other three players making the U-25 salary minimum are Kevin Ellis, Scott Lorenz and Konrad Waryzcha.)
• Joseph and Cyrus clock in at the league minimum of $42,000 -- not a huge commitment for two young depth players all things considered. Cyrus is guaranteed to make $44,991.56 this season.
• In case you're wondering, the other players earning $42,000: Korede Aiyegbusi, Jonathan Kempin, CJ Sapong and Graham Zusi. Those last two also in the running for best value in the league. Three of KC's Starting XI earn less combined than Shavar Thomas' base salary ($160,000.00).
• Luke Sassano got a raise in May (when his short-team $42,000 contract ended) and now makes $51,600 base/$55,025 guaranteed.
• Sporting now have 12 players making more than $100k a year (Arnaud, Bravo, Cesar, Collin, Espinoza, Harrington, Jeferson, Kamara, Nielsen, Rocastle, Smith and Thomas); five making more than $200k (Arnaud, Cesar, Jeferson, Kamara and Nielsen).
• Stephane Auvray ($170,000 base/$208.125 guaranteed), Mike Jones ($32,604) and Nikos Kounenakis ($110,004 base/$120,004 guaranteed) are off the team's books now. Ryan Smith ($140,00 base) is still on KC's books even though he's not with the team.
• You can view the rest of Sporting KC's salaries