Gather a group of soccer players from any level, age or gender and they can all find one common topic to discuss/debate: What cleats do you wear?
After all, shoes -- or boots -- are the most important piece of technology a soccer player can bring to the field. Leather or synthetic? Nike or Adidas? Or Puma? Or Diadora? Black and white or purple and "electricity"?
Over the past few days, Davy Arnaud, Matt Besler, Roger Espinoza and Michael Harrington talked with me about their boots. Here's what some of the other players for KC have worn this year.**I didn't get a chance to talk to everyone about their shoes. Some, like CJ Sapong, have worn a few different ones so far. These are observations from practice, pictures and games.
• Teal Bunbury has primarily worn the blue and yellow Adidas Predators. But he's busted out a pair of green Adidas's I have never seen before. (Picture proof.
• Omar Bravo is a Nike man (one of two players on the roster who are, alongside Ryan Smith). I believe he wears a version of Nike's Tiempo. (Specifically,the Tiempo Legend Elite
• Kei Kamara has bounced around a few different colors of the F50 adiZeros, includinga stunning orange pair
• Graham Zusi and goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen wear the blue and yellow Predators most of the time.
• Julio Cesar and Aurelien Collin wear the basic-looking (i.e., black and white) adiPure boots. Though I've seen Collin sport a pair of all white Adidas with green stitching. Chance Myers and Luke Sassano often wear the same shoe but in red.
• I've seen Milos Stojcev wear a few different boots -- the Predators anda pair of yellow 2010 adiZero F50s
• Birahim Diop is one of the few players I've seen wearthe ultralight Predator X .