Bummer. Salt Lake had a chance to put Major League Soccer into the international spotlight. Instead, they'll have to settle for turning their attention to absolutely dismantling the entire league.
• More on the loss:The dream is over.The fortress of Rio Tinto breachedSalt Lake misses great opportunity to make statement for MLSRSL stunned as Monterrey lifts CONCACAF crown
• We still don't know where it will take place, but Sporting Kansas City will take on the New England Revolution in a U.S. Open Cup qualifier on May 25.Could the game be at Swope Park?
• You know how there hasn't been a Stoppage Time podcast this week? Yeah, really sorry about that. Scheduling conflicts conspired against me. However. HOWEVER...You can listen to the podcast of my guest spot on the KC Soccer Show on Sports Radio 810 last night.
• The Star's Terez Paylorlooks at Sporting KC halfway through the 10-game road trip.
• For now,Sasha Victorine is off the Sporting Kansas City broadcasts.
• All right, I'm gonna say it: There have been too many Clasico's. I realize that this sort of matchup, this many times, should be a journalist's wet dream. But, as a soccer fan, I had a really hard time watching Barcelona and Real Madrid (again). I was sort of sick of the whole ordeal before Barca's 2-0 win in the first-leg of the Champion's League semis. Afterthe play-acting
, the negative tactics, the hype, the self-importance... I'd rather watch a royal wedding than another Clasico.
Wait, no I wouldn't. The hyperbole just got out of control.
•Madrid boss Jose Mourniho has already conceded Barca the final,
can't we just skip next week's game?
•Barca ponders action against Mourinho.
• Colorado's Brian Mullanapologized for the hard tackle that destroyed the leg of Seattle's Steve Zakuani
. Won't be enough, as Soccer Insideris reporting his suspension could be 10 games.
• Clint Dempsey scored twice during Fulham's 3-0 win over Bolton, and the deuce from Deuce meanshe's the leading goal scorer in club history (33),
just ahead of fellow American Brian McBrice (32).
• Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllieradvised by cardiologist to retire. The New York Red Bulls to participate in the Emirates Cup
, bringing Thierry Henry back to London.
• Shhhh, don't let Sporting Kansas City's marketing/pr department get a hold of this story:Dutch squad VVV-Venlo ink 18-month-old to contract.