Sporting Kansas City will get a rematch with New England afterthe Revolution clipped D.C. United 3-2 last night in a U.S. Open Cup qualifier
. The Revs will come to KC sometime in May (I've heard either May 11 or May 25 as possibilities) at a location to be determined (I've heard either UMKC or Blue Valley). The winner advances to the U.S. Open Cup proper.
• Speaking of the U.S. Open Cup: The KC Athletics won't play at Swope Park this Saturday, insteadthe Cup qualifier for the amateur side will be at Rockhurst.
The match, against the Iowa Menace, is at 2 p.m.
• Darron Gibson probably doesn't agree, but Twitter can be good for some things. For instance,learning about the qualities that Chiefs' cornerback Brandon Flowers looks for in a woman
. Or, more soccer-related, the good-natured beef between young USA strikers Juan Agudelo and Teal Bunbury.
KC's Bunbury and New York's Agudelo are in a fight to see who can have the most followers before the game between two teams on Saturday. The loser must wear the other's jersey for a day. Agudelo is starting to pull ahead, closing in on 8,000 followers. Gofollow Teal
and give him some support.
• One positive for Bunbury?At least he's starting.
Of course, Agudelo is riding the pine on a first-place team. So... advantage back to Agudelo.
• The most important-est game in Major League Soccer (well, at least since the first leg last week) is tonight, as Real Salt Lake look to snap up the CONCACAF Champions League title and an invitation to the Club World Cup later this year. Salt Lake drew with Monterrey in Mexico last week and are sitting on 2 away goals. The game is at 9 p.m. tonight on Fox Soccer Channel.Good reads regarding RSL:
1.Historic opportunity arrives for RSL.
2.Salt Lake on the verge of greatness, but not a 'Miracle'
3.Salt Lake's fullbacks will have their hands full.
4.MLS' match preview.
5.And, for some perspective, the five biggest games in MLS history.
• Manchester United took amassive 2-0 lead in the first leg of the Champions League semi-finals
, toppling Schalke in Germany on Tuesday.
• Barcelona vs. Real Madrid -- the third Clasico is two weeks -- is tonight in the second Champions League semi-final (1:30 p.m., FX).
•Barcelona will be without World Cup hero Andres Iniesta
, who is nursing a leg injury.
•Pep and The Special One get a little heated in the press ahead of the big match.
•CONCACAF has proposed a few tweaks to the qualifying process for the 2014 World Cup.
Most notably, the United States, Mexico, Costa Rica, Cuba, Honduras and Jamaica would enter the process in the semifinal round. It would shave two games off the process. The "Hexaganol" -- the six-team final group -- will still exist under this plan.
• Follow up: The Danish coach who hit the reporter?Fired.
MLS Single-Table Standings
1. Los Angeles Galaxy 11 pts (8 GP, 10 GF, 7 GA)
2. Real Salt Lake 12 pts (4 GP, 8 GF, 1 GA)
3. New York Red Bulls 11 pts (6 GP, 9 GF, 2 GA)
4. Philadelphia Union 10 pts (5 GP, 4 GF, 2 GA)
5. Houston Dynamo 9 pts (6 GP, 7 GF, 5 GA)
6. Colorado Rapids 9 pts (6 GP, 8 GF, 7 GA)
7. Columbus Crew 9 pts (6 GP, 6 GF, 4 GA)
8. Seattle Sounders 9 pts (7 GP, 7 GF, 7 GA)
9. New England Revolution 9 pts (7 GP, 8 GF, 9 GA)
10. FC Dallas 7 pts (6 GP, 8 GF, 9 GA)
11. D.C. United 7 pts (6 GP, 9 GF, 12 GA)
12. Toronto FC 7 pts (7 GP, 7 GF, 10 GA)
13. Portland Timbers 7 pts (6 GP, 9 GF, 13 GA)
14. Chivas USA 6 pts (6 GP, 5 GF, 6 GA)
15. Vancouver Whitecaps 6 pts (7 GP, 10 GF, 12 GA)
16. Chicago Fire 5 pts (6 GP, 9 GF, 12 GA)
17. San Jose Earthquakes 5 pts (6 GP, 6 GF, 9 GA)
18. Sporting Kansas City 4 pts (5 GP, 10 GF, 12 GA)
It's pretty sad to see KC that low. But, it's sort of a mire of mediocrity from #10-#18. (You could argue the mire includes just about everyone but the top three.)