• KC's goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen is nominated not once, but twice for MLS Save of the Week. Before you vote (click here to do that
) you should probably coalesce behind one save over the other. Me thinks Save #1 is the better save. Feel free to discuss in the comments.
• Last night, Sporting KC presidentRobb Heineman tweeted that the team have made a verbal agreement with a centerback/defensive midfielder.
He called it a good get.
We'll apparently find out who this person is very shortly. (The way this usually works: Heineman tweets it, Peter Vermes confirms they are looking without naming names, fans/media wait, the team says a deal is imminent, fans/media wait, Heineman posts the news on Twitter at 1 a.m.)
If -- and I think he will be -- the new player is an international, it would give KC 8 international players under contract with 3 international players training with the team (supplemental draft pick Michal Mravec, trialist Omar Colley and French defender Aurelien Collin). The team only has 9 International slots right now (but were fairly sure in the preseason that Ryan Smith could get a green card).
• From the Free Beer Movement:The Sporting Way is the Giving Way: An Interview with Livestrong CEO Doug Ulman.
• KC's Teal Bunbury isSoccer by Ives' player of the week.
• The Champions League is back in full force today.
Inter Milan vs. FC Schalke, 1:45p Fox Sports Net
Real Madrid vs. Tottenham Hotspur, 1:45p Fox Soccer Channel
• Speaking of Champions League:Every MLS fan is a Real Salt Lake fan today.
RSL takes on Saprissa in Costa Rica tonight at 9 p.m. (Fox Soccer Channel). RSL has a 2-0 goal advantage.
• DC United youngster Andy Najar will make his decision today:Honduras or the USA?
• Newcastle United will play Sporting Kansas City on July 20 and announced yesterday they'll play the Columbus Crew on July 26.
•Arsenal reserve 'keeper Jens Lehmann is suing Werder Bremen 'keeper Tim Wiese for suggesting Lehmann belonged in a mental institution.
The exact quote: "He should go on the Muppet Show -- that man belongs on a couch. Maybe he could get help there."
• I would love to watch the movie about Jay DeMerit's marvelous story.The Guardian with an excellent write up of "Rise Shine."