Just a quick kickoff this morning, as I'm headed out to scout Sporting Kansas City this morning pre-Ocho-sideshow.
• First thing this morning, Kansas City president Robb Heineman tweeted (which is the official media platform for the team) that French defender Aurelien Collin had signed with the team. Back in December,The Daily Wiz's Andy Edwards was the fist to sniff out this prospect
Collin is a centerback (who can play right back) who currently plays with Viotria Setubal in Portugal. He's spent time with Gretna (Scotland), Panserraikos (Greece) and Wrexham (England). I do not expect him to join the team until after his two-year deal with Setubal comes to an end after this season.
His signing brings the number of international-slot players on KC to 8.
One of the areas head coach Peter Vermes is trying to improve is the defense and the defensive depth. This should help with the latter, but having never seen him play, I can't speak to how he'll improve the team.
• Designated player Omar Bravonamed MLS player of the week
• Pete Grathoff and I dropped a little Stoppage Time podcast last night. In it, we recap the Sportings 3-2 win over Chivas USA, talk some Ochocinco and breakdown Callum Williams' first broadcast with Kansas City. You can check it out viaPosterous, RSS
• Missouri Comets forward Byron Alvarez and defender Leo Gibson earned First Team All-MISL honors for the 2010-11 season. Forward Jamar Beasley was selected to the second team. Congratulation to those three on turning in solid seasons in a Comets kit.
• According to Opta, the average attendance for the first week of MLS action was 21,046 -- higher than the overall average for every previous MLS season.
• More MLS Power Ranking roundup: Goal.com has Sporting KC 6th and so does WV Hooligan. Out of the five power rankings I've seen so far, Sporting KC are 6th on four, 5th on another.
•Manchester United's holding company loses $105.9 million.
• Speaking of money, Barcelona star Lionel Messi is the world's highest-paid player earning $44 million a year,but did you know that two Major League Soccer players are in the Top 12?