The Full 90

Comets can't hold lead, knocked down by Wave

Via press release:

The Comets returned to their roots Friday night at the Independence Events Center, but they couldn’t return to their winning ways as they fell to the Milwaukee Wave 17-16 during the team’s special Retro Night. Wearing replica jerseys from the 1981-1982 season, complete with the memorable rainbow stripes, the 16 point output was the team’s second highest-scoring game of the year, but it wasn’t enough to hold off the Wave.

The Wave struck first after a defensive miscue by Vahid Assadpour ended up right at the feet of Hewerton, who quickly made him pay for his mistake, putting the errant ball past Comets’ keeper, Danny Waltman. After a Wave tripping penalty resulted in a 2-minute penalty, the Comets would tie things up with a power play goal by Leo Gibson on an assist by Byron Alvarez. Off a re-start at the 10:16 mark, Byron Alvarez hit a rocket from the left side that zinged by Wave keeper, Nick Vorberg into the corner of the goal. Alvarez’s goal, assisted by Assadpour, gave the Comets a 4-2 lead at the end of the first period.

Jamar Beasley continued his scoring ways with his 11th goal of the season on a nice give-and-go with Alvarez at the 5:37 mark to extend the Comets’ lead to 6-2. The Wave answered quickly with a goal by Troy Dusosky. At the 9:22 mark, after a couple of Vorberg-deflected saves, Vahid Assadpour was in perfect position to put one of the deflected saves into the back of the Wave’s net to give the Comets what looked like a sure halftime lead of 8-4. The play of the game came when Comets’ goalie Danny Waltman was caught out of position after making a save, and a Wave shot on goal was saved by the Comets’ Leo Gibson, who sat on the sure-goal-shot just in front of the goal line. The Wave pulled to within 8-6 on a goal by Terminesi at the 12:29 mark, followed 22 seconds later by a Guiliano Oliviero 3-point goal to give the Wave a 9-8 halftime lead.

After an inspiring halftime scrimmage consisting of former Comets and Kansas City Attack players, this year’s team came out of the locker room firing. Less than a minute into the second half, Lucas Rodriguez scored to give the Comets the lead again at 10-9. The Wave got caught with most of their team on the Comets end, and a quick Waltman outlet pass resulted in a 3-on-1 Comets breakaway that led to a Geison Moura goal on another give-and-go, this time assisted by Jamie Harding. Soon after, the Comets would score another breakaway goal, this time it was on Byron Alvarez, with his 2nd goal of the game and 13th on the season to give the Comets a 14-9 lead. Tom Oatley would bring the Wave to within 14-11 on a nifty pass to himself off the glass that he snuck by Danny Waltman at the 13:36 mark.

The final period started with a mental lapse by Comets defender, Brian Harris, giving up the ball to the Wave’s Selaidopoulus, who quickly went right by him and put a shot past Waltman. Geison Moura would get his second goal of the night 30 seconds later from a pass by Beasley to give the Comets at 16-13 lead. Right after the re-start, the Wave’s Hewerton would score again, just nine seconds after Moura’s goal at the 5:42 mark. After another Comets defensive lapse, Marco Terminesi scored his second goal of the game to give the Wave the lead for good at 17-16 at the 9:02 mark. The Comets went with a 6th attacker with 1:07 remaining, but couldn’t muster a score.

“We’ve got to stop giving away games, stop giving away (expletive) goals,” said head coach, Kim Roentved. “We’re progressing as a team, but giving away games like we’ve been doing is unacceptable.”

The loss brings the Comets’ record to 4-9. The Comets head to Omaha for a Sunday 3 p.m. game against the Vipers. Byron Alvarez, with two goals and two assists, was named the Player of the Game. Announced attendance: 5,264.