and the upcoming MLS fixtures for a few days now, trying to make sense of it all.
Here are the things we know: Three teams have a realistic shot at the Supporter's Shield (Los Angeles, Real Salt Lake, Columbus) and two teams are relatively secure in planning for the playoffs (New York and Dallas). If Houston loses tonight, they are are out of contention. D.C. United has been out of contention since March.
This is where it gets confusing: Six teams (Colorado, San Jose, Seattle, Toronto, Kansas City and Chicago) are all in the hunt for the last three spots and two teams (Chivas and Philadelphia) are in a position to play spoiler -- and possibly sneak into the playoff picture themselves.
How about some more confusion: Three teams (Columbus, New York and Dallas) will likely start building for playoff depth/tinkering with their starting lineup. Which could mean "weakened" sides for those three teams over the next few weeks.What does this all mean?
The next four-to-five weeks will be fairly interesting.
MLS Single Table StandingsCategory I: The eight playoff teams that are in if the playoffs started today:
1. Los Angeles Galaxy-x: 50 points (25 GP, +19 GD)
x -- Automatic qualifiers from Western Conference; y -- Automatic qualifiers from Eastern Conference. Category II: The three teams within 10 points of the last playoff spot if the playoffs started today:
9. Toronto FC: 31 points (25 GP, -4 GD)
Category III: The four teams that haven't been eliminated yet but are a banana peel away from it:
12. Chivas USA: 25 points (24 GP, -6 GD)
15. Houston Dynamo: 23 points (24 GP, -11 GD)Category IV: The team that is already eliminated from contention:
16. D.C. United: 18 points (25 GP, -22 GD)Schedules of the teams in the playoff chase Colorado Rapids
• @ Real Salt Lake (9/25), Philadelphia (9/29), D.C. United (10/2), @ FC Dallas (10/9), @ Los Angeles (10/16), Real Salt Lake (10/23)Seattle Sounders*
@ Kansas City (10/9)
, Chivas USA (10/15), @ Houston (10/23)
*Also has three CONCACAF Champions League group games -- including a game with Monterrey tonight -- and a friendly against Chivas de Guadalajara on Oct. 12.San Jose Earthquakes
@ Kansas City (10/23) Toronto FC*
• San Jose (9/25), @ Seattle (10/2), @ Chivas USA (10/9), Columbus (10/16), @ D.C. United (10/23)
*Also has two more CONCACAF Champions League group games. They drew with Cruz Azul last night.Kansas City Wizards
• Houston (9/22), FC Dallas (9/25), @ New York (10/2), Seattle (10/9), @ Chicago (10/12), @ New England (10/16), San Jose (10/23)Chicago Fire
Kansas City (10/12)