, the Wizards haven't won a game in which they failed to score the first goal (they are 0-9-2 this season; 7-0-4 when they do get an early lead).
This was true Saturday night in Philadelphia, when Kansas City earned a very important road point thanks toDavy Arnaud's cracking free-kick
in the 70th minute to equalize Sebastien Le Toux's 33rd minute tally.
The point moved KC to 27 points on the season, five points back of Seattle and San Jose, who are tied for 8th. The tie also moves them up to the 9th spot in our MLS Single Table Standings (even on points with Toronto, but with a slightly better goal differential).MLS Single Table Standings Category I: The eight playoff teams that are in if the playoffs started today:
1. Los Angeles Galaxy-x: 44 points (23 GP, +16 GD)
2. Columbus Crew-y: 44 points (23 GP, +12 GD)
3. Real Salt Lake-x: 43 points (23 GP, +21 GD)
4. FC Dallas: 40 points (22 GP, +12 GD)
5. New York Red Bulls-y: 37 points (23 GP, +3 GD)
6. Colorado Rapids: 34 points (22 GP, +7 GD)
7. Seattle Sounders: 32 points (23 GP, -3 GD)
8. San Jose Earthquakes: 32 points (21 GP, +1 GD)
x -- Automatic qualifiers from Western Conference; y -- Automatic qualifiers from Eastern Conference.Category II: The six teams within 10 points of the last playoff spot if the playoffs started today:
9. Kansas City Wizards: 27 points (22 GP, -2 GD)
10. Toronto FC: 27 points (22 GP, -4 GD)
11. Chicago Fire: 25 points (20 GP, -1 GD)
12. New England Revolution: 24 points (22 GP, -12 GD)
13. Houston Dynamo: 23 points (23 GP, -10 GD)
14. Chivas USA: 22 points (22 GP, -6 GD)Category III: The two teams that are pretty much out of contention regardless of when the playoffs start:
15. Philadelphia Union: 21 points (22 GP, -12 GD)
16. D.C. United: 15 points (21 GP)Thoughts on what this means.
• If the season is the Tour de France, we're heading into the Alps now. And Kansas City has one of the steepest climbs out there. To reach the mythical 40-point threshold for the playoffs, KC needs 13 points in their remaining 8 games. Four wins and a draw will get them there. But can you find four "sure" wins in this schedule: @Chivas, Houston, Dallas, @New York, Seattle, @Chicago, @New England, San Jose. Houston, Seattle and San Jose are games KC "should" win. They've got to find a win and a draw elsewhere to get up the mountain.
• Chicago is probably still the favorite for the 8th spot; they've got two games in hand to make up ground. Seattle might be in the most trouble, a 3-1 loss to New England can't help anything.
• Only 7 teams in Major League Soccer have a positive goal differential? Really?