It's a great morning right? Baseball is actually starting to wind down (there are down to just 980 games left per team this season right?) and the American throwball season is almost here. For soccer fans, every European league is in full swing and MLS is headed down the playoff stretch.
The Kansas City Wizards are right in the thick of that. They are 5-1-2 since July 14 and sit just THREE points off the final playoff spot. The team's next THREE games (@Philadelphia, Houston, @Chivas) are all winnable games (or at least games where a result is likely).
What I want to know this morning, what I want you to search your soul to answer as honestly as possible, is this: Do you think the Kansas City Wizards will make the playoffs this year?
This was the perfect weekend for the Wizards. Toronto and FC Dallas both were involved in scoreless draws while Chicago, New England, San Jose and Houston lost. This needs to happen more often.
As a refresher, here are the current single-table MLS standings with a few notes at the end.Category I: The eight playoff teams that are in if the playoffs started today:
1. Los Angeles Galaxy-x: 43 points (22 GP)
2. Columbus Crew-y: 41 points (22 GP)
3. Real Salt Lake-x: 40 points (22 GP)
4. FC Dallas: 37 points (21 GP)
5. New York Red Bulls-y: 37 points (22 GP)
6. Seattle Sounders: 32 points (22 GP)
7. Colorado Rapids: 31 points (21 GP)8. San Jose Earthquakes: 29 points (20 GP)
x -- Automatic qualifiers from Western Conference; y -- Automatic qualifiers from Eastern Conference. Category II: The seven teams within 10 points of the last playoff spot if the playoffs started today:
9. Toronto FC: 27 points (21 GP)
10. Kansas City Wizards: 26 points (21 GP)
10. Chicago Fire: 24 points (19 GP)
12. Houston Dynamo: 23 points (22 GP)
13. New England Revolution: 21 points (21 GP)
14. Chivas USA: 22 points (21 GP)15. Philadelphia Union: 20 points (21 GP)
Category III: The one team that is pretty much out of contention regardless of when the playoffs start:
16. D.C. United: 15 points (21 GP)
• Chicago still has two games to make up and, as such, should be considered the 9th team until those games are made up. The game in Chicago in October is a must-win for the Wizards.
• New England, Chivas and Philadelphia are still technically in the mix, but have a massive hill to climb. Kansas City plays all three down the stretch.
• The West is the Best. It's very likely that the only two Eastern Conference teams that will make the playoffs are the top two. Toronto and Kansas City are 10 and 11 points behind New York for that spot.
Make sure you answer the poll at the right and leave any thoughts you have on the Wizards current form in the comments.