The Full 90

Euro Roundup: Atletico beats Inter 2-0 to win Super Cup

MONACO — Jose Antonio Reyes and Sergio Aguero scored second-half goals as Atletico Madrid beat Inter Milan 2-0 to win the European Super Cup for the first time Friday.

Atletico continued its run of form after winning the Europa League last season. Inter won the Champions League under former coach Jose Mourinho, who has been replaced by former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez.

Atletico took the lead in the 62nd minute when Inter failed to clear the ball on the edge of the area and it fell to Reyes, who glided past Maicon with a neat touch and drove a shot into the bottom left corner past goalkeeper Julio Cesar.

Aguero tapped into an empty net in the 83rd.

Inter striker Diego Milito's last-minute penalty was superbly saved by Atletico goalkeeper David de Gea.

Moments before Atletico's opening goal, Cesar had denied Reyes with a brilliant one-handed save low to his right as the former Arsenal forward cut inside down the right side and curled a shot goalward.

Milito, Inter's star when it beat Bayern Munich to win the Champions League, saw his shot deflected for a corner as Inter started brightly before gradually losing steam.

Samuel Eto'o, playing in a role out on the left, looked frustrated as he rarely got on the ball, but in the 32nd, he jinked past two defenders and hit a low shot which flew just past the right post.

Atletico striker Diego Forlan, the star of Uruguay's run to the World Cup semifinals, was well contained by the Inter defense and the Spanish side's most threatening player in the first half was the Argentina forward Aguero.

Roared on by Atletico's noisy fans, Aguero found space in the penalty area moments before the interval, but drove his powerful shot over the crossbar.

Atletico got on top in the second half, mainly because Inter failed to contain the pace of Reyes and the clever runs off the ball of Aguero as their defenders still had to keep an eye on the sleek and elusive Forlan.

Prior to the game, police intervened quickly to prevent a clash between small factions of hooligans from Atletico and Inter.

Around 25 Atletico hooligans were waiting outside a shop near Monaco's Stade Louis II stadium when some 30-40 thugs from Inter turned a corner into the road, putting the rivals just yards apart.

Atletico thugs, some who smashed wooden crates and ripped off pieces to use as weapons, rushed into the road as they were beckoned on by their counterparts.

A handful of police formed a line to push the Atletico hooligans back before further reinforcements helped contain the Inter hooligans, some of whom were waving belts.


FRANKFURT — Promoted club Kaiserslautern scored twice within 66 seconds in the first half to upset reigning Bundesliga champion Bayern Munich 2-0 Friday night and remain undefeated in the season.

Ivo Ilicevic opened the scoring in the 36th minute and Srdjan Lakic made it 2-0 a minute later as Kaiserslautern improved to a perfect six points on top of the Bundesliga after two rounds.

"It was an amazing night and an amazing gift for the fans," said Kaiserslautern coach Marco Kurz. "We knew it would be tough against Bayern and wanted to challenge them.

Ilicevic, who was sent off after a second yellow card two minutes into stoppage time, added: "We waited for our chances and used them."

However, Ilicevic said the would not get too excited about its great start.

"The team knows how to deal with this situation," he said. "We are professional enough and know there are a lot of games still to come."

Midfielder Christian Tiffert, meanwhile, expects a bit more euphoria.

"We have a young team. When you are young and have success you will enjoy it and I think they will today. But we will have our feet back on the ground," Tiffert said.

Bayern controlled the contest for the most part, but was frustrated by the Kaiserslautern defense and remains on three points.

"We played good football today and we should have won today," Bayern captain Mark van Bommel said.

Philipp Lahm added: "We were the better team. But the better team doesn't always win. We imagined things differently after two weeks."

Bayern nearly grabbed the lead after 25 minutes as three Bayern players beat the Kaiserslautern offside trap but Thomas Mueller shot just wide of the far right post from 11 yards (meters) out.

Kaiserslautern took the lead in the 36th minute. Florian Dick's cross found its way across goal where Ilicevic blasted into the far right corner.

Lautern struck just 66 seconds later on a counter attack. Ilicevic picked up a long ball and slid a pass through for Lakic, who struck his third goal of the season.

"We just cannot allow another goal 66 seconds later," Lahm said.

Kaiserslautern keeper Tobias Sippel made a superb save from Toni Kroos's volley in the 67th, and the hosts nearly made it 3-0 with 15 minutes to play as Rodnei's header beat Bayern keeper Hans Joerg Butt only to go just wide.

Kaiserslautern finished the game with 10 men as Ilicevic was sent two minutes into stoppage time with his second booking.

The match marked the first time Bayern had failed to score in 24 matches dating back to last season.