The Full 90

Friendlies in the USA: Manchester United downs Philly 1-0

PHILADELPHIA — Gabriel Obertan scored in the 76th minute to give Premier League powerhouse Manchester United a 1-0 victory over Major League Soccer's Philadelphia Union in a friendly Wednesday.

Danny Welbeck took the ball off Philadelphia's Amobi Okugo and passed to Obertan, who sent his shot past goalkeeper Brian Perk.

Manchester United played without Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick, among other stars, during the second leg of its North American tour. Still, a large throng of the announced crowd of 44,213 at Lincoln Financial Field donned red and white shirts to cheer on the English club.

United opened their four-match trip with a 3-1 win over Scottish Premier League club Celtic last Friday in Toronto. It will play the Kansas City Wizards on Sunday before concluding its trip July 28 in Houston against the MLS All-Stars.

This was Manchester United's third preseason trip to North America since Alex Ferguson was named manager in 1986. The club opens its Premier League season Aug. 16 with a home match against Newcastle.

Philadelphia was competitive in what turned out to be a scoreless first half. The Union are 4-8-2 in their inaugural season, and have 10 days off before resuming league play against the New England Revolution on July 31.

Bolton beats Toronto FC on penalties

TORONTO — Premier League club Bolton defeated Toronto FC of Major League Soccer on penalties after playing to a 1-1 draw Wednesday.

Bolton won 4-3 on penalties after Oscar Cordon was stopped on Toronto's final attempt.

Matt Taylor gave Bolton a 1-0 lead in the 28th minute before Maicon Santos headed the equalizer into the corner of the net in the 46th.

Toronto coach Predrag Radosvljevic gave many of his regular players the night off, with the second half of the MLS season set to begin Saturday. Bolton also substituted liberally with the start of their Premier League season three weeks away.

Toronto was the final stop of Bolton's three-match North American tour.

Celtic beats Sporting in Fenway Football Challenge

BOSTON — Georgios Samaras scored on a penalty kick in the 72nd minute, and Paul McGowan sealed the victory in the sixth round of the tiebreaker Wednesday night as Glasgow Celtic beat Sporting Lisbon in the first soccer game at Fenway Park in 42 years.

Samaras scored after he was tripped in the penalty box, then Helder Postiga tied it in the 82nd minute. It stayed even through the end of regulation and the first five rounds of the penalty-kick tiebreaker, when each of the first 10 attempts was successful.

But Liedson put Sporting's sixth attempt over the crossbar and into the bleachers.

Goalkeeper Vitor Golas guessed wrong on McGowan's shot, and the ballpark loudspeakers began belting out "Dirty Water," the song that celebrates Red Sox victories.