Bunch of things hopping around on a rainy Monday morning.
You know what's going to be really great? When the Kansas City Wizards play in a stadium with a roof. It took me until this morning to completely dry out.
It appears that the Wizards have waived Moldovan midfielder Igor Kostrov. The slight midfielder was waived to, apparently, make room for Jamar Beasley. (Of course, this news, as always, comes via the MLS' public-relations outlet,MLSsoccer.com
.*) I saw Kostrov play in a few exhibitions during the preseason. I couldn't have seen him making any impact this year. He's slight, has a bit of a rough first touch and played a position where the Wizards are stacked (left midfield). (Hat tip to Down the Byline, who first noticed this story.)*I am still trying to wrap my brain around how a PR-arm can be reporting "rumors" and "news." It's like they are trying to combine the free-wheeling speculation of a blog with the reporting strength of a news outlet. Only, they control all the information in the first place, whether it's rumor or fact. The merger of these two concepts is just flat-out bewildering.
World Cup update
• The U.S. Men opened up camp this morning. According to Twitter last night, "Dumb and Dumber" was on and is apparently a team favorite. It's a favorite of the blog as well. I've been known to borrow a line or two. Such as this classic: "According to the map we've only gone 4 inches." I've also been known to question the geographic knowledge of John Denver when driving toward Lawrence.
• Steven Goff has his first update from Princeton, where he sayssome roster spots are up for grabs
• The New York Timesprofiles Edson Buddle and Herculez Gomez
• USA Todaywrites about the U.S. forwards
• Germany will bewithout captain Michael Ballack
, who tore ligaments in his right ankle during Chelsea's 1-0 FA Cup final victory over Portsmouth. I'm going to have to do a fair amount of re-writing my Germany preview now. HUGE loss for Germany.
The Henry saga
Thierry Henryis pretty much all but in uniform for the New York Red Bulls
Coming up this weekend
The Champions League final is Saturday at 1:30 p.m. on Fox. And, this is pretty amazing, the winning team will be a treble winner. Inter Milan secured the Serie A title and the Italian Cup.
Germany's Bayern Munich pulled the same feat in the Bundesliga.
And for closers...
Every goal scored by Lionel Messi this season. You've got almost 10 free minutes. You know it.