The Immovable Object meets the Impenetrable Force! Or... maybe more like the exact opposite.
The Kansas City Wizards haven't scored a goal in three games. If you stretch back to the U.S. Open Cup loss to Colorado, the Wizards haven't scored in 356 minutes. On the other hand, DC United hasn't won a single game in MLS play yet this year, have only found the back of the net twice and allow an astonishing 2.6 goals per game.
Something, probably, has to give.
How They Fared Last WeekHouston 3, Kansas City 0
It's very easy to get carried away with that scoreline. But the truth is, it's tough to take any points from Houston, and, down a man, that task is borderline impossible. The Wizards still had their chances to make it a game but couldn't find the target. ... One week after shutting down the Los Angeles Galaxy, Matt Besler and Pablo Escobar made Luis Angel Landin and Dominic Oduro look like All-Stars. ... Jimmy Nielsen is the White Puma and was also the man of the match.New York Red Bulls 2, D.C. United 0
United had control for much of the first half of the game, including a few very near misses. ... Struggled to control the wide play, which led directly to both goals. ... There's talk that goalkeeper Troy Perkinsmight give way to an 18-year-old prospect
Injury ReportKansas City Wizards
OUT: MF Zoltan Hercegfalvi (R knee sprain/torn ACL); PROBABLE: DF Jimmy Conrad (L calf strain), MF Stephane Auvray (R knee contusion), MF Graham Zusi (L hamstring strain).D.C. United
OUT: DF Marc Burch (R foot surgery), Dejan Jakovic (R clavicle), DF Bryan Namoff (post-concussion symptoms), FW Chris Pontius (R hamstring), GK Andrew Quinn (R knee surgery); QUESTIONABLE: DR Julius James (L sartorius strain); PROBABLE: DF Juan Manuel Pena (R hamstring), DF Barry Rice (concussion), DF Clyde Simms (L hamstring).
MF Davy Arnaud (red)
Best Guess at Formation4-3-3
Forward: Smith, Kamara, Wolff
Midfield: Jewsbury, Auvray, Hirsig/Rocastle
Defense: Espinoza, Escobar, Conrad, Harrington
MLS Career: 161 games; fouls called/game: 28.4; Yellows/game: 3.3; Red: 35; Penalties: 46
• The Wizards have now gone three consecutive league games and 312 minutes without scoring a goal.
• After conceding just one goal over the first four games of the season, the Wizards were hit for three goals in their visit to Houston. All four goals they have allowed on the season have come away from CommunityAmerica Ballpark.
• D.C. United’s 0-5 start is the worst in club history, and the third-worst in MLS history, behind the Kansas City Wizards (0-7 in 1999, two by shootout) and the New England Revolution in 2001 (0-6).
• United are also the first club ever to go without a goal in their first three home games of a season. The MLS record for a home scoreless streak is 452 minutes, set by Toronto FC in 2007.
• Josh Wolff on his goal drought. [The Kansas City Star
• A new Byline to Backpost podcast. [Byline to Backpost
The Wizards find the back of a net that is not in Kansas City ... and that's about all. They'll sneak out of D.C. with the three points, leaving the disaster that is Handball United winless this season.Score: Kansas City 1 (Smith), DC United 0.