Thank Pele that the Kansas City Wizards don't play anything close to resembling whatever that mess was on ESPN 2 tonight. It was like watching a horse and a koala bear try to use an iPad. (You pick which team is which in that analogy.)[Steps off the soapbox.]More news after the jump.
Wrapping up a days worth of news, links, rumors and rampant speculation.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
• The Wizards arrived in Seattle. Well, Kei Kamara and Davy Arnold did. They probably shoulda brought Davy Arnaud. He scored last year in Seattle. [
] • Yours truly talked a little footie with Matt Johnson and the great Arlo White on ESPN 710 in Seattle tonight. When I get a link so you can listen, I'll put up an item about it.
The Next Opponent
Sounder fans think they've got an offensive problem. You mean other than the over-brewed coffee at Starbucks? HEY-YO! I'll be here all week ladies and gentlemen. Please don't forget to tip your waitresses. But seriously, they think they have a problem with their attack. [Sounders At Heart
Today's Must Read
• A closer examination of the attendance gap (and how it's closing) between baseball and soccer. [MLS Daily
• If you skipped watching Toronto beat Philadelphia 2-1, your eyes should thank you. It was ugly. It was sloppy. It featured stupid penalties, stupid cards and a Toronto team that lucked into a victory despite fielding a team that seemed to have no intent on scoring. Yikes. [MLS
] • But Toronto has awesome fans. [Dirty Tackle
]• Can someone please tell Max Bretos and ESPN that, at least until Saturday and hopefully beyond, there are TWO undefeated teams in Major League Soccer. • Red Bulls continue to wheel and deal. [Soccer By Ives
]• Danny Califf has a lot of tattoos. And stupid hair. [The Offside Rules
] • Chivas hopes Costa Ricans strengthen their backline. [Soccer by Ives
] • Bobby Convey finally finding his form. [MLS
]• Colorado's U.S. Open Cup hero, Wells Thompson, is fighting for a spot. [MLS
] • Not a misprint, Columbus doesn't play this weekend. Second bye week for them. [Crew Extra
]MLS schedule Saturday, April 17
· Kansas City at Seattle FC, 2 p.m. -- KCWE (Ch. 29)
· Chivas USA at Houston, 3 p.m. -- TeleFutura
· Chicago at D.C. United, 6:30 p.m.
· FC Dallas at New York, 6:30 p.m.
· New England at San Jose, 9 p.m.
· Real Salt Lake at Los Angeles, 9:30 p.m. -- Fox Soccer Channel
Sunday, April 18
· Toronto FC at Colorado, 1 p.m.
USA! USA! USA!
• Landon Donovan throws his support behind Edson Buddle and Herculez Gomez for the national team. [Fox Sports
] • The Offside Rules, speaking of Gomez, has the mixtape of his goals this year. [The Offside Rules
]• Alejandro Bedoya continues to make his case for the U.S. squad. [Soccer by Ives
] • Ryan Miller featured in Halmstads BK 1-0 win over AIK. KC area native Michael Thomas did not. [Yanks Abroad
]• We've been dancing around it this entire section, so, what are the tough calls Bob Bradley has to make? [Goal
The World Cup
• ESPN's World Cup advertising campaign begins.
• Grant Wahl has a Q&A with retired South African striker and former MLS player Shaun Bartlett. [Sports Illustrated
Around the World
• And in today's foolishness from Manchester City... Carlos Tevez is one of the three best players in the world. [ESPN
] • Real Madrid still has hopes. They're slim, but they've got them. [Sports Illustrated
] • Barcelona will not go after Cesc Fabregas. Yes they will. No they won't. Yes they will. [Dirty Tackle
This weekend's TV highlightsEngland Saturday
· Manchester City vs. Manchester United, 6:30 a.m. -- ESPN 2
· Blackburn vs. Everton, 9 a.m. -- Fox Soccer Channel
· Tottenham vs. Chelsea, 11:30 a.m. -- FSC
· Fulham vs. Wolverhampton, 3:30 p.m. -- FSP
· Wigan vs. Arsenal, 7:30 a.m. -- FSP
· Portsmouth vs. Aston Villa, 10 a.m. -- FSC
· Liverpool vs. West Ham United, 2 p.m. -- ESPN 2Italy Friday
· Inter Milan vs. Juventus, 1:30 p.m. -- FSCSunday
· Sampdoria vs. AC Milan, 8 a.m. -- FSC
· Lazio vs. Roma, 1:30 p.m -- FSCGermany Saturday
· Schalke 04 vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach, 8:30 a.m. -- ESPN Deportes
· Bayern Munich vs. Hanover, 3 p.m. -- GolTV PremiereSunday
· Dortmund vs. Hoffenheim, 9:30 a.m. -- GolTVSpain Saturday
· Espanyol vs. Barcelona, 1 p.m. -- GolTV
· Villarreal vs. Atletico Madrid, 3 p.m. -- ESPN DeportesSunday
· Real Madrid vs. Valencia, 2 p.m. -- ESPN DeportesMexico Saturday
· Monterrey vs. America, 5 p.m. -- Telemundo
· Pachuca vs. Toluca, 7 p.m. -- Telefutura
· Chivas vs. Atlas, 7 p.m. -- mun2, Telemundo
· Puebla vs. Cruz Azul, 12 p.m. -- ESPN DeportesMonday
· Santos Laguna vs. San Luis, 7 p.m. -- Telefutura
Just for Fun
• This is anti-football. [The Dirty Tackle
]• Wow... prank calls have gotten so personal. Probably not that safe for work. Via Failblog
• The title of the video steps on the joke a bit... but you'll still wince. Via loyal reader Joe.