Arsenal out of the title race. Red Bulls think they're the Yankees. Toronto has some nice grass. The MLS has gone meta-supernova, breaking rumors about themselves. Fun side game while you read: Count the number of times we mention Denmark. More after the jump.
Wrapping up a days worth of news, links, rumors and rampant speculation.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
for the Wizards:
OUT: MF Zoltan Hercegfalvi (R knee sprain/torn ACL); DOUBTFUL: MF Santiago Hirsig (R groin strain); PROBABLE: MF Birahim Diop (L knee contusion); FW Kei Kamara (L foot/toe irritation)
• Exclusive Facebook video of Sunil Chhetri's debut. [Facebook
]• The former Wizards report. [Down the Byline
]• Here's James Starritt's take on last night's game. (That was a ton of possessive's, I apologize.) [KCW Fans
The Next Opponent
• Today's installment ofSeattle Sounder's coach Sigi Schmid talking about the Wizards
"Kansas City has gotten off to a good start. They have played two games at home and they have won and trying to turn their home field into a little bit of a fortress. They have made a lot of changes - added a lot of players. [Ryan] Smith has done very well for them on the left flank. He is creative. He is skillful. He's a good server of the ball. They have changed their formation a bit. Stephane Auvray I think has helped them in midfield. He's been a real good clue for them in the middle of midfield. It's freed up [Jack] Jewsbury to play maybe a little more of an offensive role. They have taken a left winger in [Roger] Espinoza, turned him into a left back and they have been pretty happy with that experiment. So they are a good solid team. They are an improved team over last year. We have to be at the top of our game to take it to them."
• Sigh... Fredy Montero isn't leaving the MLS during this transfer window. Here's why. [Sounders at Heart
• Real Salt Lake beats San Jose 4-3 on penalty kicks in a dramatic U.S. Open Cup qualifier. [MLS
] • The Toronto media is high on the new grass. (Ugh, sorry for that pun.) [The Toronto Sun
] • Winger Brian Nielsen of Denmark is apparently headed for a very complicated transfer to the Red Bulls. [The Vipers Nest
] • Is anyone at all surprised that the Red Bulls want to be the first team with THREE designated players? [MLS
] • You know, this grinds my gears. Why is the MLS breaking "rumors" on their official league site? This goes beyond a personal affront (speculating about rumors is the job of folks like ME) and has wandered into a confusing realm of conflict of interest. Are they going to use these "rumor" posts to pump up specific players or sway the interests of certain teams? Something is rotten in Denmark. Excellent rant. [American Soccer News
]MLS schedule Thursday, April 15
· Philadelphia at Toronto FC, 6 p.m. -- ESPN2Saturday, April 17
· Kansas City at Seattle FC, 2 p.m. -- KCWE (Ch. 29)
· Chivas USA at Houston, 3 p.m. -- TeleFutura
· Chicago at D.C. United, 6:30 p.m.
· FC Dallas at New York, 6:30 p.m.
· New England at San Jose, 9 p.m.
· Real Salt Lake at Los Angeles, 9:30 p.m. -- Fox Soccer Channel
Sunday, April 18
· Toronto FC at Colorado, 1 p.m.
USA! USA! USA!
• Jen Chang looks at the forward decisions Bob Bradley must make before the World Cup. [Sports Illustrated
] • The Dirty Tackle gets a little phone time with Landycakes. [Dirty Tackle
] • First AC Milan. Then Manchester United. Now Manchester City will tour the U.S. this summer. I believe Tottenham and Aston Villa have tours planned too. Anyone know of another? [MCFC
Today's Must Read
• South Africa is entering the final push to unload World Cup tickets. Doesn't look real promising. [The Guardian
Around the World
Sort of a busy day around the world.England
• Tottenham sunk Arsenal's battleship. (And by "battleship" I mean "title chances.") [ESPN
]Danny Rose's wonder goal from that game.
• The battle of American keepers ends in a 2-2 draw. [The Guardian
] • Really, really, really not likely. [Sky Sports
• Barcelona tightens it's grip on La Liga. [ESPN
• Bordeaux continues to stumble... [ESPN
] • ... while Marseille continues to ascend. [ESPN
• This just in... Herculez Gomez ... didn't score in tonight's 2-0 win over Atlas. [Sports Illustrated
• American Chris Rolfe netted the winner in AaB's 1-0 win over Odense BK. [ESPN
] • American Yura Movsisyan netted two in Randers FC's 3-1 win over Silkeborg IF. [ESPN
]* Wizards goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen is from Denmark. So are my ancestors. So... there's that. If you were counting at home, Denmark was mentioned 6 times. Today's TV schedule
Almeria vs. Real Madrid 1 p.m., GolTV
Valencia vs. Athletico Bilbao 3 p.m., Gol TV
Just for Fun
Tip of the hat to Dirty Tackle for this pro-wrestling quality tackle.