Season's over. Throw in the towel. Raise the white flag. It's all ... over. Who cares about the MLS regular season anymore? The Wizards just lost a chance to hoist a trophy named after the guy that brought soccer to this city![Deep sigh.] Sarcasm aside, it sucks to lose any game, especially one that eliminates your team from a tournament. Let's blame Onalfo! (He got us into this spot didn't he?) Let's refocus on the League! Viva la Wizards! More news after the jump.
Wrapping up a days worth of news, links, rumors and rampant speculation.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
• A recap of KC's 2-1 loss to Colorado* in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. Basically, either the Wizards depth isn't as good as we thought or the quality isn't quite where it should be. Regardless, there's only one trophy in play now. [
• A little more on the steel-signing ceremony this past weekend. [MLS
The Next Opponent
• Seattle Sounder's coach Sigi Schmid:
"Well it's the first time for [the Wizards] on the road so we hope that presents a good challenge for them. They're a team that is very confident right now. They have brought in a lot of new players. It's not the same team as last year and that group is growing in their confidence in each other and they have gotten two good results. So we just need to let them know that they are playing Seattle Sounders and that they are in Seattle and that this is not a place where we give up points easily and take advantage of our abilities and our skills and use Ljungberg and Montero and Zakuani, our attacking people, and Pat Noonan and give them problems on their defense."
• Former Arsenal star Robert Pirès in talks with an MLS club... and it's not New York. So where is it? Maybe Kansas City? I dunno. That's a good question. [MLS
]• The MLS... all growns up? [Yanks Abroad
]• The MLS ... all growns up? Part 2. This time, it's about the role of the fans. (BTW, Goal.com has to have the most annoying pop-up ads of any soccer site. Egad.) [Goal
]• A gaffe by a referee? In the MLS? THE HELL YOU SAY! THE HELL! [MLS
]• Houston has a stadium deal in place. Yay for them. [Sports Illustrated
]• An inside look at teenagers who go pro. [Washington Post
]• DC United is just plain struggling. Now, they can't find a fit back four. [Soccer Insider
]• The one-time (albeit very, very briefly) Wizard, Luis Gil, has been called into the U.S. U-18 squad. [Salt Lake Tribune
]• A look at the MLS MVP so far, Edson Buddle. [Soccer by Ives
]MLS schedule Thursday, April 15
· Philadelphia at Toronto FC, 6 p.m. -- ESPN2Saturday, April 17
· Kansas City at Seattle FC, 2 p.m. -- KCWE (Ch. 29)
· Chivas USA at Houston, 3 p.m. -- TeleFutura
· Chicago at D.C. United, 6:30 p.m.
· FC Dallas at New York, 6:30 p.m.
· New England at San Jose, 9 p.m.
· Real Salt Lake at Los Angeles, 9:30 p.m. -- Fox Soccer Channel
Sunday, April 18
· Toronto FC at Colorado, 1 p.m.
USA! USA! USA!
• Interesting point: Having players returning from injury now and play with their clubs for a month or two (like Clint Dempsey, Charlie Davies, Stuart Holden, Oguchi Onyewu, et al) might mean the U.S. has rested players rounding into form come World Cup time. Of course, it could blow up in our faces just as easily. [Goal
]• Michael Bradley is proving he's on the U.S. squad for his ability, not his dad. [ESPN
Today's Must Read
• The "Almost" Great Soccer Swindle: How a French con-man almost got a professional contract. [Wall Street Journal
Around the World
• Chelsea is four-points clear at the top thanks a 1-0 win over Bolton. It's in the bag for the Blues. Mark it down. [Caught Offside
]• Celtic puts a halt to Rangers title celebration... for now. [Sports Illustrated
]• Pele on Messi: Get back to me when he scores 1,000 goals. [The Daily Mail
]• Inter Milan can still dream of a treble. [Sports Illustrated
]Today's TV schedule
Tottenham vs. Arsenal 2 p.m. -- ESPN 2
Wigan vs. Portsmouth 1:30 p.m. -- Fox Soccer Channel
Aston Villa vs. Everton 1:40 p.m. -- Fox Soccer Plus
Real Zaragoza vs. Mallorca 1 p.m. -- GolTV
Just for Fun
• From 101greatgoals.com: Celtic's Neil Lennon has a... a... meltdown (?) on the sidelines.