How many American Manchester United fans cringed when Wayne Rooney went down and then heard a faint pro-U.S. whisper: "What if his ankle injury is serious and he misses the World Cup?"I'm not saying I listen every time I hear a whispered voice in the back of my head (case in point: I haven't eaten at Taco Bell after midnight in at least four years), but I'm not denying that I didn't at least think about what it was saying.For more thoughts on the Manchester United, the World Cup, the Wizards and some cool soccer stuff, go ahead and jump.
Wrapping up a days worth of news, links, rumors and rampant speculation.
Around the World
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
It's a quiet day in the heartland, so let's start somewhere where something actually happened: Europe.The Champions League quarterfinal results:
The headline: WAYNE ROONEY ... INJURED!UPDATE: Rooney will be out forprobably just 2-4 weeks
. He will miss the Chelsea game this weekend and potentially just two more games. Sigh of relief. Move along, nothing to see here. Wild speculation time is over.
Arsenal v Barcelona - 1:45pm on Fox Soccer Channel/Fox Sports Network
Inter Milan v CSKA Moscow - 1:45pm on Fox Soccer Plus
• If you missed Ryan Smith's interview on the Border Patrol on Sports Radio 810 Tuesday morning, you probably should correct that. [Sports Radio 810
]• It's amazing how much progress is being made on the Wizards' stadium. [Stadium Web Cam
]• If you have to read one article today about how KC signing Sunil Chhetri is a big freakin' deal, then it might as well be this one. (Sarcasm aside, it's an interesting article about how much it would mean for Asian soccer if Chhetri does well in the States.) [Goal.com India
• Know any talented Under 19 soccer players in KC? If you do, they need to tryout for the KCW Juniors squad. (If things fall right, it's possible they win enough games to qualify for Nationals at the Overland Park soccer complex in July.) [Hillcrest Road
]• Time Warner adds Fox Soccer HD and Fox Soccer Plus. [The Full 90
Around the MLS
• Couple of notable player moves:
- · Jon Busch signs with San Jose (interesting, they already have Joe Cannon). [Fire Confidential]
- · Pat Noonan has apparently landed in Seattle. [Sounders At Heart]
- · Danny Szetela (late of DC United) is on trial with Philadelphia. [Soccer By Ives]
- · Philly might be close to signing another former DC United player, Luciano Emilio. [Soccer Insider]
• I haven't listened to a ton of MLS-specific podcasts in the past (something to do with only having room in my busy podcast schedule for Ricky Gervais, Adam Carolla, Fresh Air and Bill Simmons) but I'm going to throw the American Soccer Show into the mix. If only because I love the idea of MLS IS AWESOME PEW PEW BOOM! (If you have no clue what that means, listen to this show and laugh.) [American Soccer Show
has his MLS power rankings up (Wizards are 6th) andKyle McCarthy at Goal.com
released his too (Wizards are 3rd).• Toronto will host the 2010 MLS Cup. [MLS Insider
]This week's MLS schedule (adjust your DVRs accordingly): Thursday
· Houston Dynamo v Real Salt Lake - 8pm on ESPN2
· LA Galaxy v Chivas USA - 10pm on ESPN2Saturday
· Colorado Rapids v Chicago Fire - 4pm on TeleFutura
· DC United v New England Revolution - 6:30pm on Direct Kick
· Seattle Sounders v New York Red Bulls - 9:30pm on FSC
And just for fun...
I love this:What beer represents the players in the Wizards Starting XI.