The Wizards have an "off" week. Santiago Hirsig isn't going anywhere. Manchester United will play the MLS All-Stars this summer. And KC has the best BBQ.The first is a misleading statement. The second a speculative statement on my account. The third is sort of an unverified rumor disguised as a statement. And the fourth is an undeniable statement of pure molasses-soaked fact.Less fun with semantics, but more news, after the jump.
Wrapping up a days worth of news, links, rumors and rampant speculation.
• I've posted a few extra photos that haven't seen the light of day yet from Star freelance photographer Chuck France. You can find them at the right if you'd like. We're still working on getting a photo gallery up after the games.• According to Dave Borchardt's Twitter feed, Ryan Smith will be on the Border Patrol on Sports Radio 810 Tuesday at 9 a.m. [
]• Speaking of Ryan Smith, a lot of people were doing just that today. Also, he's got a lower leg contusion that is apparently minor. [
]• Oh, and he was MLS Daily's Player of the Week this week. [MLS Daily
]• Chance Myers — who I tipped for a breakout year — sat out Saturday night's game with what I'm told is a hamstring strain.• There has been no official word — nor do I think one is coming this week — about the Wizards roster status after adding Indian striker Sunil Chhetri. At first I expected a trade or an international getting waived (likely Santiago Hirsig), but I'm starting to think that getting a few green cards sorted out (possibly for Smith or Korede Aiyegbusi) might go a long way toward freeing up the international slots. If that happens, I think Aaron Hohlbein might be the player dropped.• For some strange reason, SIX Major League Soccer teams don't have a game scheduled this week. So, with the weekend "free," the Wizards are traveling to St. Louis to take on USSF Division II side A.C. St. Louis Saturday at 7 p.m. at the Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park in Fenton, Mo. This is the second-half of a home-and-home. The Wizards beat ACSTL 2-0 on March 19 at Swope Park. The team will also host an informal scrimmage against the University of Tulsa at 11 a.m. on Wednesday at the Swope Park Training Facility.
• Bruce McGuire from du Nord and some other Minneapolis soccer fans made the trek down to KC for the opener. A few nice words about our food and the weirdness everyone who goes to game at the CAB feels. 
The absolute best thing in KC is their Bar-B-Que. Many great choices: Arthur Bryants is an old favorite of mine, but lately its all about Oklahoma Joes. Nothing beats BBQ from a gas station!It's pretty fun going to the games in KC these days too. Sure the place is a bit odd, with a minor league baseball park being called home for a soccer team, not to mention the fact that it is a good 10 miles west of the KC suburbs out in the country. strangely you are plopped right in the middle of this weird modern outdoor shopping mall area. A vast sprawling shopping-eating complex, that also includes a big old NASCAR track. All the worst restaurants in the world are within walking distance - Olive Garden, Applebees, Hooters, you name it. And still I love it.
• Local boy Michael Thomas was in the 18 but didn't see any time on the pitch in Halmstads BK's 4-0 win over Åtvidaberg. [Soccer Way
Around the MLS
• Manchester United are going to be touring the United States this summer and possibly playing the MLS All-Stars in Houston. I'd love to credit the MLS with this, but I can't get their site to load. At all. [Soccer by Ives
]• Steve Davis' Five Things We Learned. Ryan Smith made his Best XI and the 'Zards debut at No. 4 on his power rankings. [SI.com
]It's a step in the right direction, but Mr. Davis has a long way to go before he completely makes up (to me at least) for this statement in hisDaily Soccer Fix preseason rankings:
13. Kansas City: Manager Peter Vermes likes the personnel and elected not to make many changes. I think that was a mistake – but that’s why they play these games. Prove me wrong, Pete!"
• Apparently, there are major problems with the league's new web site (MLSsoccer.com
). If you can get it to load, feel free to share your enmity with them. They apparently forgot that pesky "Why don't we test they before we launch" step. They need to know what works (the nice video section) and what doesn't (like everything else). [Down the Byline
]• The big business of MLS teams building soccer specific stadiums. [Big Apple Soccer
]• An article about the new foreigner influx to the MLS. Not one mention of Auvray or Smith. Way to be New York-centric guys. [US Soccer Players
]• ESPN Soccernet hasn'tcompletely
given up the ship on talking about the MLS. Not completely. A story about how the MLS is feeding the national team. [Soccernet
]This week's MLS schedule (adjust your DVRs accordingly): Thursday
· Houston Dynamo v Real Salt Lake - 8pm on ESPN2
· LA Galaxy v Chivas USA - 10pm on ESPN2Saturday
· Colorado Rapids v Chicago Fire - 4pm on TeleFutura
· DC United v New England Revolution - 6:30pm on Direct Kick
· Seattle Sounders v New York Red Bulls - 9:30pm on FSCYou know, this week would've made a helluva lot more sense as First Kick weekend than last weekend. Look at it. You've got a double-header on Thursday thatdoesn't
serve as counter-programming for the NCAA Tournament that features the defending MLS Cup champion AND the Los Angeles derby. Then you've got a light slate of Saturday games to go up against the Final Fou. All you'd need to do is add one Friday game to put on Direct Kick (on a free preview) and then two games for Sunday afternoon (one for FSC and one for Telefutura). If weren't for Easter Sunday, I'm pretty sure it would work perfectly.
Around the World
• GolTV will be offered in high definition starting Aug. 1, the network announced. I wouldn't hold my breath for Time Warner to pick this up before Labor Day. [Multichannel.com
]• A Carlos Tevez triple keeps the lesser half of Manchester alive for the final Champions League spot in England. (They are two points behind fourth-place Tottenham.) [SI.com
]Champions League TV schedule Tuesday
Lyon v Bordeaux - 1:45pm on Fox Soccer Channel
Bayern Munich v Manchester United - 1:45pm on Fox Sports NetworkWednesday
Arsenal v Barcelona - 1:45pm on Fox Soccer Channel/Fox Sports Network
Inter Milan v CSKA Moscow - 1:45pm on Fox Soccer Plus
And just for fun...
A very slick video package of the sights and sounds at CommunityAmerica Ballpark Saturday night.