Will we ever get a fair or reasonable preview for the KC Wizards? ... Did Ryan Smith move to KC just to make the US World Cup squad? ... Is your liver ready for a JP Dellacamera-themed drinking game? ... What's the airspeed velocity of a sparrow?Those questions will be answered, some might surprise you. More after the jump.
Wrapping up a days worth of news, links, rumors and rampant speculation.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
• Mark your calendars: March 24, the first fair and reasonable Kansas City Wizards season preview.* [
]• Shane Evans at Goal.com has a reasonable preview too. That's two fair and reasonable previews in one day. Maybe we aren't under siege from the obviously biased coastal media. [
]• Hold the flipping phone. Here's a ... a ...third
reasonable preview for the Wizards. Well, it's certain. There isn't really an anti-Midwestern footy cabal after all. [American Soccer News
]*I fully realize "reasonable" is a loaded word. When I use "reasoned" I mean "actually researched" and "thought-out."
• If you haven't already, click over to The Back Post for a multitude of player/coach interviews. [
]• Down the Byline has the final Former Wizards Updates for the season. [Down the Byline
]• WV Hooligan tabs Teal Bunbury as a rookie to watch. [WV Hooligan
]• So, let me get this straight. Ryan Smith came all the way from England to Kansas City — which you say may as well be a soccer "Siberia" — just so he could make the U.S. national team for the World Cup? Um... sure. Whatever. I guess this guy and I are proof they'll give anyone a soccer blog these days. [Match Fit USA
Around the MLS
• It's the first game day of the season... [MLS Daily
]... Philly's fans (The Sons of Ben) are ready ... [Daily Times
]... is your liver ready for a MLS First Kick Drinking Game? [Goal.com
]• Not sure how I missed this yesterday, but a really great article on why this should be a breakout year for the MLS. [The Huffington Post
]• Looks like Toronto will host the MLS Cup. Most had pegged Red Bull Arena as the obvious host. [Soccer by Ives
]This week's MLS schedule (adjust your DVRs accordingly): Today
· Seattle Sounders v Philadelphia Union - 8:30 pm on ESPN2Friday
· Chivas USA v Colorado Rapids - 9:30pm on Direct KickSaturday
· Columbus Crew v Toronto FC - 3pm on Direct Kick
· FC Dallas v Houston Dynamo - 3pm on Telefutura
· New York Red Bulls v Chicago Fire - 6pm on ESPN
·Kansas City Wizards v DC United - 7:30pm on KCWE (Ch. 29)
· San Jose Earthquakes v Real Salt Lake - 8pm on FSC
· LA Galaxy v New England Revolution - 10pm on FSC
• Just great. Michael Bradley broke his nose during training. (He shouldn't miss too much time, but the whole USMNT squad is cursed. CURSED!) [SI.com
]• Charile Davies is certain he can be part of the World Cup squad. [Yanks-Abroad
International News of Note
Inter Milan has a four-point lead in Serie A after a 3-0 thrashing of Livorno (see below for video of easily the goal of the day) ... Bayern Munich needed a late winner to advance to the German Cup final ... Barcelona are three points clear in La Liga after a 2-0 shutout of Osasuna ... Maurice Edu and DeMarcus Beasly crashed out of the Scottish Cup as Rangers lost 1-0 to Dundee United.
And just for fun...
• Samuel Eto'o with a glorious bicycle kick in Wednesday's victory for Inter Milan.
• Vinnie Jones wants David Beckham to appear in as-of-yet-unannounced remake of the classic football movie "Escape to Victory." [The Guardian
]If you're unfamiliar, here is the trailer for the original: