It’s halftime at University of Phoenix Stadium, and the Chiefs lead the Cardinals 14-6. Here are some quick observations.
▪ Classic Alex Smith half. Completed 12 of 13 for 109 yards today with a rush of 21 yards on third and 14 and to keep last drive alive. Super efficient. He doesn't push the ball down the field as much as you’d prefer but you can win with his strengths. He also just surpassed the 20,000-yard mark.
▪ Unreal half for Jamaal Charles, who is apparently the football equivalent of “Wolverine.” Charles now has three carries for 74 yards and a TD and one catch for 18 yards and a TD, despite an ankle injury that forced him to miss a few plays and head to the locker room.
▪ Charles’ last touchdown was a great catch and run, but he also received a GREAT block from Jason Avant, who gave great effort and blocked two guys.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
▪ Receiver Dwayne Bowe made perhaps the most explosive play I’ve seen him make in two years with his hurdle.
▪ You’re never gonna believe this, but Calais Campbell had a sack. He’s going to be a problem throughout the game.
▪ Bit of a rough half for Travis Kelce, who made a couple of nice catches but also had a drop and some bad false start penalties. He knows that’s not good enough.
▪ Albert Wilson made a couple of nice catches, and has been playing ahead of Donnie Avery, who is active today. He’s certainly an intriguing player.
▪ Defensive end Jaye Howard has been playing pretty well recently.
▪ With Allen Bailey out, the Chiefs are going with Dee Ford, Justin Houston, Tamba Hali and Dontari Poe up front on passing downs. Vance Walker has seen most of the early work in the base 3-4.