The highlights from Tuesday’s day in Chiefs camp, along with an injury report and Wednesday’s schedule:
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Receiver Jason Avant made the catch of the day in the 11-on-11 (team) period when he reached behind him and hauled in a Chase Daniel pass near the sideline. … Daniel had another receiver make a nice catch for him when Tello Luckett did the same a few plays later. Daniel was pressured by Frank Zombo, who slipped past Donald Stephenson for the second straight play. … Quarterback Alex Smith connected with Jamaal Charles for a nice touchdown on a slant. … Some unofficial passing stats: Smith was 15 of 21, Daniel was 12 of 20 and Aaron Murray was five for 11. … Some unofficial receiving stats: Charles caught five passes, Knile Davis caught four, and Charcandrick West and Luckett each caught three. … The offensive line looked much better in one-on-one pass rush drills, as they seemed less susceptible to bull rush moves. … Some depth chart news: With Jeremy Maclin and Albert Wilson sitting because of injuries, Fred Williams and Frankie Hammond started on the outside. The starters on the inside were Avant and De’Anthony Thomas. … Receiver Chris Conley and tight end Ryan Taylor got some first-string work as well. … The starting offensive line for the fourth straight day went like this, from left to right: Eric Fisher, Ben Grubbs, Mitch Morse, Zach Fulton and Jeff Allen. … The second unit, from left to right: Stephenson, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Eric Kush, Paul Fanaika and Jarrod Pughsley. … When Marcus Reed left practice because of an ankle injury, Fanaika took his spot at third-team left guard. … Kicker Cairo Santos was three for three on field goals.
The third-team defense sacked Murray twice early on in practice. Defensive end David Irving and outside linebacker Dezman Moses teamed up for a sack, and cornerback Aaron Hester got to Murray one player later. … Safety Husain Abdullah made a nice deflection on an Smith pass during the team period. … Defensive lineman Vaughn Martin recovered a bobbled snap by Kush and Daniel. … Some depth chart news: Safety Eric Berry got some first-team work in nickel. … Zombo got the second-team work at outside linebacker, while Dee Ford sat out because of a concussion. … Rookie Ramik Wilson has consistently gotten work on the second team at inside linebacker.
▪ Defensive end Mike Catapano left practice because of a groin injury. Offensive guard Reed left because of a right ankle injury.
▪ Receiver Wilson missed practice because of an illness. Receiver Maclin missed his second straight practice because of a neck spasm. Outside linebacker Ford missed practice for the third straight day because of a concussion.
▪ Defensive lineman Nick Williams (concussion) and offensive lineman Garrett Frye (knee) missed practice for the fourth straight day.
▪ Receiver Jeret Smith missed his sixth straight practice because of a hamstring injury. Receiver Junior Hemingway missed his eighth straight practice because of a hip sprain. While Smith was present at practice, Hemingway was not.
▪ Quarterback Tyler Bray (torn ACL) did not practice for the 13th straight day. He is on the non-football injury list but again observed practice from the side.
▪ Nose tackle Dontari Poe (recovering from back surgery) and tight end Demetrius Harris (recovering from foot surgery) each missed practice for the 10th straight time. Both are on the physically unable to perform list, but Harris could be seen rehabbing on the sideline.
▪ Inside linebacker James-Michael Johnson missed his 10th straight practice because of a calf strain. He remains on the PUP list.
Practice begins at 8:15 a.m.
1 ― Practices remaining until the Chiefs’ first preseason game Saturday at Arizona. The team won’t practice Thursday or Friday.