After the release of veteran tight end Anthony Fasano, the Chiefs certainly have a suitable replacement in Travis Kelce.
But the depth behind Kelce — second-year pro Demetrius Harris and veteran journeyman Richard Gordon — could stand to be improved, which makes the team’s decision to waive Sean McGrath last week interesting.
McGrath, 27, retired at the start of training camp last season citing a loss of passion for the game, but was reinstated from the reserve/did not report list on April 15 after he told the Chiefs he wanted to return. He was subsequently released, however, despite catching 26 passes for 302 yards and two touchdowns in 2013.
This week, Chiefs coach Andy Reid explained the decision to move on from a player who could have potentially helped them in 2015.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“I think at a point there, he wanted to go a little different direction and he did that and then he wanted to come back, but by that time we had things kind of filled up,” Reid said. “This gives him an opportunity to hook onto somebody else.”
Reid made it clear the decision had little to do with McGrath’s football ability.
“He can play in the National Football League,” Reid said. “He’s a good guy, a hard worker.”
Reid also didn’t close the door on a return, either.
“I had a chance to talk to him — you never know in this league, you could be right back here,” Reid said. “But for right now it gives him an opportunity to hook on with another team.”