INDIANAPOLIS It’s halftime at Lucas Oil Stadium, and the Chiefs lead the Indianapolis Colts in their Week 8 tilt. Here are some quick thoughts.
1. Alex Smith’s first quarter hit — which forced him to leave the game due to a possible concussion — was unbelievably eerie, considering it happened roughly 10 yards away from the spot where the momentum-changing Jamaal Charles concussion occurred in the brutal 45-44 wild-card loss three years ago.
2. That said, Smith’s replacement — Nick Foles — looked pretty solid. He showcased some touch and arm strength, and even connected with tight end Travis Kelce on a 14-yard touchdown pass. I know some of you are saying you liked how the offense looked with him in the game. And I get that. But it would take a lot for the Chiefs to pull the plug on Smith. Like, a sustained losing streak and Browns-esque quarterback play. And it absolutely should, by the way. Just know that before you get your hopes up, ‘kay?
3. Speakin of Kelce ... good to see the big fella get involved early. After notching five catches for 56 yards in his previous two games, Kelce already has six catches for 96 yards and a touchdown. Maclin also caught his second touchdown of the season right before halftime. Kelce and Maclin are making good on No. 2 on my list of keys to winning in this week’s Chiefs gameplan (yes, it’s shameless self-promotion, but I work too hard on those for you all not to read them).
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
4. Nice half for Dee Ford, a.k.a five-five. He’s racked up a sack and a half, and now has a team-high five on the season. He’s on pace to finish with at least 10 ... which is pretty good. Not bad for a dude who entered the season with plenty of pressure on him.
5. The Chiefs’ special teams needs to pick it up. Kicker Cairo Santos had an unacceptable field goal miss from 28 yards out in the first quarter, in part because punter Dustin Colquitt didn’t get the laces around. The Chiefs also attempted a failed onside kick in the second quarter.