- Ryan Succop missed what would’ve been the game-winning field goal at the end of the fourth quarter, but a weird thing because the football that mattered most to the Chiefs was being played across the country: at almost the exact same time as Succup’s miss, Legarrette Blount scored from 35 yards out to ice a win late in the fourth quarter for the Patriots.
- Which means, of course, that the Chiefs will play at Indianapolis in the first round of the playoffs. Dates and times will come later tonight.
- As for the game here in San Diego, that was more than I expected from the Chiefs.
- And less from the Chargers.
- I know this is running on the website of the newspaper in Kansas City, but honestly, how do the Chargers come out like that? Everything set up for them. This was a layup. A gimme. A bunny. A playoff berth presented on a platter. Just grab it.
- Anyway, about the Chiefs, in sort-of order, the most impressive players on tryout day: Knile Davis, James-Michael Johnson, A.J. Jenkins, Chase Daniel, Eric Kush, and Jaye Howard. I know I’m missing someone. Probably someones.
- Davis, particularly, ran HARD.
- And held onto the ball.
- For most fans, there isn’t much to take from today. But believe this: Sunday was the most important game of the season for a lot of those guys. Most important game of their careers for some. This was real game action against a real NFL team playing for its playoff life.
- Doesn’t matter to most of us, but it’s the most important thing in the world to a lot of them.
- Chase Daniel had thrown a total of 17 passes before today. He finished 19 of 25 for 169 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions.
- You know, if anything, the Chiefs might’ve done themselves a disservice by winning. The Chargers have beaten the Broncos, Chiefs, Colts, Cowboys and Eagles. Their best, you would think, is better than the Steelers’ best. The Chargers, you would think, have a better chance of winning a playoff game and perhaps giving the Chiefs a home game at some point.
- One thing that’s so freakish that it’s probably just a fluke: all those backups, and the Chiefs didn’t have a single penalty until late in the third quarter.
- All of this makes for good conversation, but when you hear fans or media talk about momentum from this game going into the playoffs, remember thatmomentum probably does not actually exist
- Which means the most important thing is that Jamaal Charles, Justin Houston, Tamba Hali, Alex Smith, Dwayne Bowe, Derrick Johnson, and Branden Albert got rested up and will be healthy going into the playoffs.
- Also, they apparently stayed out of trouble with no game and Tijuana a short drive away.
- Because the Patriots beat the Bills, the Chiefs will play at Indianapolis in the first round of the playoffs.I don’t like their chances, but it should be a completely different game than the Chiefs’ no-show last weekend