Rain interrupted Missouri’s NCAA softball regional Friday less than three innings into the opening game between Kansas and Louisville.
The forecast calls for more showers Saturday and Sunday, which threaten to prevent the tournament from being completed.
“Every attempt should be made to complete regional and super regional competition by Sunday,” according to NCAA rules.
The competition can be pushed into Monday due to weather or other emergency situations or if it would require a team to play more than three games in a day.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
The last regional game must begin by 11:59 p.m. Monday unless the regional final begins by that time and the “if necessary” game becomes necessary.
In that case, the additional game would immediately follow the first regional championship game.
If regional competition can’t be completed, the highest tournament seed without a loss would advance to the super regional.
Missouri, 39-14, which is the No. 10 national seed and host, will advance if no games are completed. Kansas, 38-13, is the regional’s second seed, followed by Louisville, 30-17, and Indiana State, 26-29.
That puts premium on advancing from the first round and winning the third game, which pits the winners of the first two games against one another.
If the tournament is halted after the sixth game with both teams having a loss, head-to-head games will be used as the tiebreaker and, if the teams split, the higher seed advances.
NCAA Columbia regional schedule
▪ Louisville, 30-17, vs. Kansas, 38-13
▪ Indiana State, 26-29, at Missouri, 39-14
▪ Louisville-Kansas winner vs. Indiana State-Missouri winner, 2:30 p.m.
▪ Louisville-Kansas loser vs. Indiana State-Missouri loser, 5 p.m.
▪ Loser of Saturday’s first game vs. winner of second game, 7:30 p.m.
▪ Winners of Saturday’s first and third game, noon (with second game to follow if unbeaten team loses)