UMKC’s Emma Hagedorn won the NCAA Volleyball National Play of the Week for her kill during a match last week.
Hagedorn, a senior middle hitter who graduated from Park Hill South, had what the Kangaroos’ coaches called the biggest kill they’ve ever seen during last Thursday’s match against Cal State Bakersfield.
It came in the third set of UMKC’s 25-20, 27-25, 23-25, 25-23 victory. Hagedorn’s kill was one of four plays up for the best of the week, and fans voted on Twitter.
Here is the play:
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
▪ Rockhurst junior forward Kaleb Jackson is the Great Lakes Valley Conference men’s soccer offensive player of the week. He leads the No. 1-ranked Hawks, 11-0-1, with eight goals, including game-winners at Bellarmine and Southern Indiana.
▪ Rockhurst senior outside hitter Morgan Rietzke, from Staley, is the GLVC offensive player of the week in women’s volleyball. She leads the Hawks in kills per set and has won the award three times and twice in a row this year.
▪ Emporia State senior Emily Haselwood, from Olathe North, is the Mid-American Intercollegiate Athletics Association defender of the week in women’s soccer. She scored the game-winning goal against Missouri Southern, one of three consecutive shutout victories by the Hornets, a school record.
▪ Washburn senior setter Natalie Bates, from Blue Valley West, is the specialist of the week for MIAA women’s volleyball. She had 59 assists in a victory over No. 3 Nebraska-Kearney.
▪ Missouri Southern freshman Cody Berry, from Blue Springs, is the MIAA men’s cross country athlete of the week after winning the Missouri S&T Jackling Jocks Invite.
▪ Three Park athletes won American Midwest Conference weekly awards. Danna Gomes and Salma Shahtout were women’s volleyball setter and defender of the week and Mary Beth Bailey, a junior from Richmond, Mo., is the women’s cross country runner of the week.