Guard Will Shields is one of six former Chiefs players who are among the 113 modern-era players and coaches nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2015.
Shields, a Hall of Fame finalist in each of the last three years, is also joined by kicker Nick Lowery, cornerbacks Albert Lewis and Ty Law, running back Priest Holmes and quarterback Rich Gannon.
Former Chiefs coaches Marty Schottenheimer and Dick Vermeil are among the 14 coaches on the ballot. Shields, Lowery, Lewis, Holmes and Schottenheimer are members of the Chiefs Hall of Fame.
Other first-year eligible modern-era candidates include the late linebacker Junior Seau and quarterback Kurt Warner, wide receivers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt and offensive tackle Orlando Pace of the St. Louis Rams.
From the list of 113 nominees, the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee will choose 25 candidates who will advance as semifinalist nominees in late November. That semifinalist list will be further reduced to 15 modern-era finalists in early January.
The Class of 2015 will be selected from the list of the 15 modern-era finalists plus Minnesota center Mick Tingelhoff, the lone senior candidate selected last month by the senior selection committee, and two yet-to-be-determined contributor finalists. This will be the first time contributors — such as owners, front-office executives or NFL executives — will be considered separately.
The senior finalist and contributor finalists will be voted yes or no for election at the annual selection meeting on Jan. 31 in Phoenix, the day before Super Bowl XLIX, and like the modern-era finalists, the senior and contributor nominees must receive an 80 percent positive vote to be elected.
The 15 modern-era candidates will then be considered, and, counting the senior candidate and contributors, between four and eight inductees will be selected for the Class of 2015.
Pro Football Hall of Fame modern-day nominees
*Finalist in 2014
▪ Quarterbacks (4): Randall Cunningham, Rich Gannon, Phil Simms, Kurt Warner
▪ Wide receivers (9): *Tim Brown (also KR), Isaac Bruce, Gary Clark, Henry Ellard (also PR), *Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith
▪ Tight end (1): Mark Bavaro
▪ Running backs (13): Shaun Alexander, Ottis Anderson, Tiki Barber, *Jerome Bettis, Roger Craig, Stephen Davis, Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James, Daryl Johnston, Jamal Lewis, Herschel Walker (also KR), Ricky Watters
▪ Offensive linemen (23): Willie Anderson (T), Tony Boselli (T), Jeff Bostic (C), Lomas Brown (T), Jim Covert (T), Bill Fralic (G/T), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Jon Jansen (T), Mike Kenn (T), Jim Lachey (T), Kevin Mawae (C/G), Mark May (G/T/C),Tom Nalen (C), Nate Newton (G), Orlando Pace (T), Chris Samuels (T), Mark Schlereth (G), *Will Shields (G), Tra Thomas (T), Steve Wisniewski (G)
▪ Defensive linemen (12): Al “Bubba” Baker (DE), Jerome Brown (DT), Carl Hairston (DE/DT), *Charles Haley (also LB), Jevon Kearse (DE), Dexter Manley (DE), Charles Mann (DE), Steve McMichael (DT/NT), Fred Smerlas (NT), Greg Townsend (DE), Ted Washington (DT/NT), Bryant Young (DE)
▪ Linebackers (13): Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Bruschi, *Kevin Greene (also DE), Ken Harvey, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Matt Millen, Sam Mills, Junior Seau, Chris Spielman, Darryl Talley, Zach Thomas
▪ Defensive backs (16): Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Thomas Everett (S), Rodney Harrison (S), Ty Law (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), *John Lynch (S), Terry McDaniel (CB), Tim McDonald (S), Frank Minnifield (CB), Shawn Springs (CB), Troy Vincent (CB/S), Everson Walls (CB), Darren Woodson (S)
▪ Kickers/punters (5): *Morten Andersen (K), Gary Anderson (K), Jason Elam (K), Sean Landeta (P), Nick Lowery (K)
▪ Special-teams players (2): Brian Mitchell (RB/PR/KR), Steve Tasker (also WR)
▪ Coaches (14): Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, *Tony Dungy, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Lou Saban, Marty Schottenheimer, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil