Chiefs release defensive tackle Roy Miller following domestic battery arrest

The Chiefs released defensive tackle Roy Miller on Monday, two days after he was arrested in Florida and accused of domestic battery.

“We did release Roy and we’re going to move on from that,” said Chiefs coach Andy Reid, declining to elaborate. “I can’t really talk about anything from a legal standpoint, so I’m gonna just leave it at that.”

Miller, 30, has appeared in seven games this year as a backup defensive tackle. The 6-foot-2, 318-pounder recorded two tackles in playing 78 of the Chiefs’ 626 defensive snaps (12.5 percent).

The Chiefs have other backup defensive tackles who have contributed, including Rakeem Nunez-Roches and Jarvis Jenkins. But Reid hinted general manager Brett Veach would move quickly to replace Miller, which the Chiefs did by signing veteran defensive tackle Cam Thomas later Monday afternoon, a source confirmed to The Star.

Thomas, 30, is a classic 3-4 nose tackle who is listed at 6 feet 4 and 330 pounds. He spent the offseason with the Chiefs as a backup but saw his reps decline after the Chiefs signed Miller in early August; Thomas was ultimately released at the 53-man roster deadline in early September.

The seven-year veteran has recorded 114 tackles and 7  1/2 sacks in 101 career games, and might be counted on to earn some snaps in place of Miller, who was counted on to plug the middle in short-yardage situations.

Miller was held in jail without bond until he appeared in court Saturday afternoon, after which he was released under his own recognizance and given a Nov. 28 court date, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office.

Police were sent to Miller’s home shortly after midnight on Saturday, where the responding officer found a cut on the face of Roy Miller’s wife, Nicole Miller, a scratch on the back of her neck and a braid torn out from the back of her head. Five children, including four under the age of 10, were in the house at the time.

Nicole Miller, 39, told police that Roy Miller had left her behind at the Jacksonville Zoo, where the couple had gone on a date Friday night. She took an Uber home and did not find Roy Miller in the house, she said.

The two began to argue when Roy Miller arrived, according to the report, and the confrontation turned physical.

Nicole Miller told police Roy Miller grabbed her by the hair and pushed her around. Her shirt was almost torn off, according to the report.

She said Roy Miller threw her cellphone in the toilet and physically restrained her from retrieving it. She was able to contact police “after a brief struggle,” at which point she said Roy Miller barricaded himself in a bedroom with one of her sons.

The Star’s Maria Torres contributed to this report.