High School Sports

SM Northwest soccer tops SM South in penalty kicks

After 110 minutes of play, it came down to a penalty kick shootout for the regional title.

Shawnee Mission Northwest won the shootout and the game defeating Shawnee Mission South 2-1 (4-2 in the shootout) and advanced to next week’s boys soccer quarterfinals. The Cougars improved to 13-5-0.

“It’s a great time to be back here,” senior goalkeeper Steven Skells said. “I think we’ve really been able to put it together. We got scored on first, but you have to find a way to win and we did that.”

Shawnee Mission South’s first two penalty kicks sneaked by Skells, but he was able to provide two stops for the Cougars before Collin Jones knocked in the winning goal.

“You dive hoping that you go the right way,” Skells said. “When you get that block, it’s so great.”

Calvin Freeman gave Shawnee Mission South the early lead off an assist from Alex Stockler, and Will Skoog kept Shawnee Mission Northwest out of the goal well into the second half until Ethan Bowman converted a penalty kick.

From there it was a defensive battle through two 10-minute overtimes, two five-minutes ones and eight penalty kicks.

“We worked our tails off,” Shawnee Mission Northwest head coach Todd Boren said. “I wish we had taken care of some of the opportunities we had in the game, but the bottom line is we got the job done.”

Second half surge carries BV Northwest

ThEast Kansas League champion Blue Valley Northwest took over in the second half on the way to a 3-0 win over BV West in the Class 6A Northeast Regional 2 championship match Thursday night at BV Northwest.

The match was played on the artificial turf of the football field because there was standing water on the soccer field in the afternoon.

The Huskies, 14-3-1, opened the scoring in the first half with 24:45 left.

“I took it down the left side and faked going to my right,” junior Trevor Kerns said. “I took it to the left. I looked and saw that the back post was open.”

Kerns’ left-footed shot found the back of the net with assist going to senior Ian Arch.

The shots-on-goal on goal were even at 7-7 in the first 40 minutes.

Arch made it 2-0 with a free kick from 44 yards out in the second half.

“I wasn’t sure what to do,” he said. “Sam Taylor and I talked about what to do. I had been practicing those shots, likely too much.”

Arch decided to take a shot at the goal.

“The ball started to the left,” he said. “Then it knuckled to the right and in.”

The goal came with 28:46 left in the match.

Junior Austin Flores added the third goal with 5:15 left.

“Coach (BV West coach Alex) Aiman always get his kids ready to play us,” Huskies coach Rick Pribyl said. “They marked us well and controlled the ball in the air.”

The Huskies had 9-3 advantage in shots on goal in the second half.

This is the third consecutive year that BV Northwest has been to the state tournament.