From the times she performed as a child on Sesame Street, Christine Grossman has been wowing audiences on the violin and viola. At Juillard, she studied with Heidi Castleman, Misha Amory and Hsin-Yun Huang. For two summers in a row, Grossman was awarded a fellowship to Tanglewood Music Center. She’s participated in summer music festivals all over the country, and played with the Delaware Symphony, Reading Symphony, New World Symphony and several others as principal or assistant principal chair. Grossman has held the principal viola chair at the Kansas City Symphony since 2008.
01. Room 39’s quiche. The slices of quiche are gravity defying, and the filling is like custard. I love the ambiance of the Volker location—perfect for a relaxed morning brunch.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
02. The Missouri River Festival of the Arts. It’s my favorite summer music festival. It takes place over a few days at the end of August. This annual festival attracts classical performers from the St. Louis Symphony and the Kansas City Symphony, and it is an absolute blast. I’ve been lucky enough to play at this festival, and I really look forward to going back every summer. It’s three to four nights of chamber music with great musicians.
03. Diorissimo by Christian Dior. The scent is energizing and fresh. There is something optimistic about it. When I wear it, I think good things are about to happen!
04. Tahini sauce from Trader Joe’s. Always in my refrigerator, it makes a delicious dip for veggies and chips and can be diluted to make a zesty and light salad dressing.
05. Stuff. I love browsing at this shop in the Brookside Shops. It has a wonderfully eclectic mix of items, and the staff has always been friendly and helpful. Shopping here just puts me in a good mood.
06. Lancome Le Stylo Waterproof eyeliner. I frequently wear purple, green and blue as well as brown or black shades.
07. Missouri Bluffs. A great boutique in Weston that carries JWLA tops and dresses, my go-to outfit if I’m going to a concert and sitting in the audience. I have lots of dressy black clothes in my closet since I’m usually performing at the Kauffman Center on weekends.
08. Manifesto’s Beautiful Red Bell. It’s pretty much the most delicious cocktail I’ve ever had. It tastes sunny and warm to me. It’s not overly sweet, and you taste the red pepper in a very fresh and distinctive way.
09. Unbound. My favorite Kansas City charity. It’s a non-profit humanitarian organization that impacts hundreds of thousands of families all over the world. It is consistently recognized for excellent stewardship of funds, and it feels good to contribute to an organization that is expanding education and opportunities for human beings across the globe.