Heather Moeder grew up in Chicago’s North Shore with an entrepreneurial mother who owned several clothing stores.
Moeder loved to follow her mom on buying trips to downtown Chicago and New York — but never pictured herself working in fashion. After studying elementary education at the University of Kansas, Moeder worked as a teacher, and then stayed home for a few years to raise her kids.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
In her 30s, Moeder started making and selling jewelry. Eventually, she opened a boutique called Adorn by Jewelry Girl.
“I couldn’t stay away from fashion,” she says.
Moeder now runs Adorn by Jewelry Girl boutiques in three Kansas City-area stores: Kindred at Oak Park Mall, KB & Co. in downtown Lawrence and Threshing Bee in Overland Park’s Prairiefire development. And she recently opened a fourth boutique, Adorn at Heather M, inside Prairiefire’s Anaphora store.
Adorn at Heather M carries sophisticated yet casual clothes alongside sparkly, Swarovski crystal-laden Mariana jewelry that’s perfect for the holiday season.
Moeder’s fashion philosophy: “Let the jewelry be the show-stopping piece.”
Here are a few more of her favorite things.
1. The Brass Onion, 5501 W. 135th St., Suite 2330 in Overland Park. I love their hummus platter with roasted veggies, and for dinner, the cedar plank salmon. Also, their cornbread is to die for — it melts in your mouth.
2. Tru Airbrush makeup. It’s mineral-based makeup which makes it a healthy option. It’s great coverage and long-wearing. I couldn’t go back to regular foundation.
3. Books. Currently I’m reading “Girl, Wash Your Face” by Rachel Hollis. I’m also reading “Unafraid” by Adam Hamilton.
4. Decadent, 5601 W. 135th St., Suite 2220, in Overland Park. This is dangerous because it’s right next door to our store, and we smell the bakery goods every day! I love the white chocolate mocha latte with skim milk, and when I really want to indulge, I will have a skillet chocolate chip cookie, which is warm and topped with vanilla bean gelato.
5. Mexico. We like to travel to Cabo San Lucas for Christmas vacation every year. The beaches are beautiful. We love the outdoor restaurants, getting massages on the beach, boat rides and shopping.
6. Tacori wedding ring. My husband Eric and I just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in June.
7. Cosmopolitan cocktail at The Monarch Bar, 4808 Roanoke Parkway on the Country Club Plaza. I love the citrus flavors.
8. Instagram. It’s a great marketing tool to reach my customers and show them the latest and greatest products. I also get lots of inspiration about fashion.
9. Outerwear. I have a slight addiction to coats. Right now we are seeing a lot of faux fur, which is a really fun way to add texture to an outfit. I love leather jackets, suede jackets, fringe coats… just about any kind of jacket is my weakness.
10. Vitamix blender. I make açaí smoothie bowls every day for breakfast with yogurt, chia seeds, fresh fruit, granola, coconut and honey.