Before he served as Ballet Master for the Kansas City Ballet, Parrish Maynard was a dancer for the American Ballet Theatre, The Joffrey Ballet and a principal dancer at the San Francisco Ballet. He’s won his share of awards, from the Princess Grace Award to the Presidential Scholar award, and has choreographed numerous ballets as a teacher since his dancing career ended after an injury. Although he’s from California, his five years in Kansas City have introduced him to the city’s unique charm, including its barbecue, architecture and arts scene.
01. The Westside Local. The ambiance is great, and the food is delicious—especially the hamburger and French fries.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
02. Spa on Penn. It’s my favorite getaway to relax. It’s a beautiful little spot with great treatments.
03. Pandora. I mostly listen to the “chill” playlist each morning.
04. Cartier watches. I have six and change them daily; I love beautiful timepieces.
05. My iPad. At work, it’s convenient to run videotape from rehearsals so dancers can see themselves in a particular role and grow as artists.
06. KC Streetcar. Since I don’t have a car, it’s helpful and easy to use.
07. Union Station. The architecture is amazing, and I get to walk through it every day on my way to work.
08. Banksia Bakehouse & Cafe (formerly Sasha’s Baking Co.). It’s my favorite bakery, and since it’s close to my apartment, it’s very convenient.
09. Mystery Match and Cascade. I exercise every day as a ballet master, so playing these video games is the best way for me to relieve stress.