Originally published Feb. 8, 1948
The original caption on this photo reads: “Maywood Business Center on Van Horn road brings a sizable group within the corporate limits of Independence.”
Van Horn Road is now known as Truman Road. Visible in this image (from left to right): an upholstery shop whose name is illegible, Holland Furnace Co., Maywood Tire shop, Ginger’s Beauty Salon, a Skelly station and a business with the name Maywood on a sign at far right.
Thanks to the Midwest Genealogy Center at Mid-Continent Public Library for help sussing the exact locations of these businesses, which stood in the area of Truman Road near Maywood and Ash avenues today.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.