Jan. 15, 1939
The North Kansas City Public Library at 2251 Howell St. opened in 1939 after moving from North Kansas City High School. The brick building was unusual among libraries, featuring a swimming pool. Here’s the original caption on this photograph, which ran in The Star:
North Kansas City starts the new year with a new community building, contributing to the development of a civic center at the intersection of Twenty-third avenue and Iron street. Nearby are the high school and a grade school. This view, from the north, shows in the foreground part the entrance to the library. The side entrances lead to a lecture hall, designed primarily for small meetings. Farther south as its triangular tract widens, come the outside walls of the swimming pool. The pool itself is open, but Edward M. Fuller, the architect, has preserved a building unity with the brick inclosure containing the dressing rooms and service rooms. The building, costing $70,000, was erected on a site contributed by the North Kansas City Development company.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star