Originally published Aug. 14, 1978
The Leawood Drive-In opened at 123rd Street and State Line Road in June 1953. It closed in 1975, and a planned reopening in 1979 never came to fruition. Original caption for the photo:
“The Leawood Drive-In comes into full view of a neighborhood just to the north as a stand of trees separating the two is being chopped down. The trees, taken down on orders of the developer of the drive-in site, lie in a large heap halfway between the big screen (right) and this house. Why the trees are being cut down is a matter of contention.”
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.