Family yells ‘I love you’ in court to mom accused of child abuse in shooting

Police investigated a quadruple shooting Thursday night in a parking lot at Gregory Boulevard and Prospect Avenue.
Police investigated a quadruple shooting Thursday night in a parking lot at Gregory Boulevard and Prospect Avenue.

A 19-year-old man fatally shot during a drug deal that ended in a quadruple shooting late Thursday has been identified by police as Davyon S. Coates of Kansas City.

The shootings happened in the parking lot of a Church’s Chicken restaurant at Gregory Boulevard and Prospect Avenue. A 2-year-old was critically wounded during an exchange of gunfire allegedly between Coates and the child’s parents — Darrell K. Roberson Jr., 28, and Roselynn S. Kuntz, 25, of Belton.

Police responded to the restaurant parking lot on a reported shooting and found Coates. Roberson and Kuntz suffered gunshot wounds. The 2-year-old had a gunshot wound to the head. She remained hospitalized Monday in critical condition.

Coates died at the scene.

Jackson County authorities have charged Roberson and Kuntz with child abuse and two counts of child endangerment because they allegedly fired guns near their children.

Roberson and Kuntz were arraigned Monday in separate hearings. Relatives of Kuntz shouted, “I love you,” as she was brought into the courtroom in a wheelchair.

A Jackson County Circuit Court judge entered not guilty pleas on their behalf. Both are scheduled to appear in court on Sept. 6. A judge will determine whether the two will be eligible to be represented by the Missouri public defender’s office.

Roberson and Kuntz are being held on $100,000 bond.

Relatives of Kuntz declined to comment after the brief hearing.

According to court records, Roberson told police he had arranged to meet Coates at the restaurant in order to sell him a pound of marijuana. The couple reportedly arrived with loaded handguns.

The couple told investigators they brought their children, ages 2 and 3, because they could not find a baby sitter.

Roberson initially was seated in the front passenger seat of their Chevrolet Uplander van. When Coates arrived, Roberson had him sit there and Roberson moved to the rear seat in the van.

Coates brandished a handgun and demanded money. Roberson told investigators he lunged forward and pushed Coates’ gun down. Roberson was shot in the shoulder during the struggle over the weapon.

Roberson reportedly said he shot at Coates but did not believe that it struck Coates.

Kuntz told investigators her daughter was shot in the head while Roberson and Coates fought over the handgun.

During the struggle, Roberson dropped his handgun. Kuntz allegedly picked up the weapon and shot Coates.

Kansas City police investigated a shooting Thursday evening that left one dead and three injured, including a child. Police Sgt. Kari Thompson gives a statement.

Police later searched the van and found three firearms and what appeared to be a large amount of marijuana inside. They also found a large amount of marijuana outside of the family van.

The shootings remain under investigation, and prosecutors continued to review the case file, said Michael Mansur, spokesman for the Jackson County prosecutor’s office.

In May 2015, Coates pleaded guilty in Jackson County Circuit Court to first-degree tampering and resisting arrest. He served 120 days of shock time and was placed on three years probation.

A child remains in critical condition following a shooting that one man dead and two adults wounded.

Glenn E. Rice: 816-234-4341, @GRicekcstar

Related stories from Kansas City Star