Police search for shooter after mother and daughter are wounded in Kansas City, North, neighborhood

Police sketch of Northland shooting suspect.
Police sketch of Northland shooting suspect.

A shooting Tuesday morning in Kansas City, North, left two people critically wounded — including a 14-year-old girl — and a shooter on the loose.

The incident was reported shortly before 8:30 a.m. in the 10300 block of North Virginia Avenue, Kansas City police said.

Someone shot a 46-year-old woman in the stomach and the wrist, a relative of the victim told The Star. The woman and her husband have two daughters, ages 14 and 9, her brother-in-law said. The older daughter was also wounded in the shooting.

The injuries to both victims were life-threatening, police said.

It was too early in the investigation for police to determine if a connection existed between the victims and the gunman, said Capt. Tye Grant, a police spokesman.

“We don’t know the reason for the shooting,” Grant said. “We believe that the suspect was up here with an intended purpose. We haven’t figured out what that is right now.”

Someone in the area of 103rd Street and North Flora Avenue called police Tuesday morning to report seeing a man carrying a long gun, police said. Shortly after that, police received word of the shooting on Virginia Avenue.

Police described the shooter as a white man in his early 20s with dark hair and a scruffy beard, about 5 feet 7 inches tall and 150 pounds. He last was seen wearing a gray or dirty white T-shirt and dark pants.

The brother-in-law said his parents called him to tell him about the shooting. He rushed to the neighborhood, but his sister-in-law already had been taken to a hospital.

The shooting may have occurred during a break-in at the home, he said.

Officers set up a large perimeter around the area and began checking woods and homes for the shooter, who was believed to be on foot in the area. Kansas City police detectives, police helicopter officers, Missouri Highway Patrol troopers and Clay County sheriff’s deputies helped with the search.

The shooter was on foot for some time after the incident. Police have not determined if the shooter may have had access to a vehicle later during their search, Grant said.

Police blocked traffic from entering some streets in the area. A large group of officers gathered at a police command post set up at New Mark Middle School on North Oak Trafficway. Teams of searchers looked in abandoned houses and checked garages left open by residents. They also looked inside the trunks of residents’ vehicles in the area near the shooting.

“Anyplace that we found the suspect could be hiding in, we searched that area the best we could,” Grant said.

Slightly more than four hours later, police shut down the search for the gunman. Investigators remained at the shooting scene gathering evidence.

“We have been up here for a long time, there have been no more sightings of him. … We saturated the area and were unable to locate him,” Grant said.

To reach Glenn E. Rice, call 816-234-4341 or send email to