Kylr Yust’s half-brother has trial date for fleeing charges

Jessep S. Carter
Jessep S. Carter Benton County Sheriff’s Office

A jury trial has been scheduled for Oct. 16 in Henry County Circuit Court for Jessep Carter, half-brother of Kylr Yust.

Carter is accused of fleeing from a deputy on the day a missing woman’s SUV was found burned in Kansas City. He appeared in Henry County Circuit Court with a public defender on Tuesday in front of Circuit Judge James K. Journey.

Authorities in April said Carter, of Edwards, Mo., fled from a traffic stop by a Henry County deputy on Sept. 10, 2016, the day Jessica Runions’ SUV was found burned. In the vehicle with Carter was Yust and a female subject identified only by her initials as C.T.

Yust, 29, was charged with two counts of first-degree murder last October in connection to the deaths of two missing Cass County women. He has pleaded not guilty.

Kylr Yust, a 29-year-old Kansas City man authorities suspected in the disappearances of two Cass County women nearly a decade apart, pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of abandonment of a corpse on Tuesday at th

Yust is charged with killing Runions, who was reported missing days before the burned vehicle was found, and he’s accused of killing another woman, Kara Kopetsky, who was last seen leaving Belton High School on May 4, 2007. The remains of Runions, 21, and Kopetsky, 17, were found in a wooded area about eight miles south of Belton in April 2017.

Kylr Yust in October 2017. File The Star

According to court documents, a Henry County deputy tried to pull over a white 1998 Dodge Durango going west on Northeast Missouri 2 on Sept. 10, 2016, after the deputy noticed that the rear license plate was not illuminated and observed the vehicle crossing the center line.

The Durango’s speed fluctuated between 52 mph and 70 mph on the highway. At one point, authorities noted that the vehicle drifted off the right side into the grass. A second deputy responded to assist with the traffic stop.

The Durango stopped in the 1000 block of Northeast Missouri 2. Carter was in the driver’s seat.

Court documents said a deputy noticed a knife in a sheath on Carter’s belt. Authorities said they also retrieved a .32 caliber semi-automatic pistol from the waistband of C.T., the female passenger sitting in the front seat. The male passenger sitting in the back seat, Yust, was frisked.

During the Sept. 10 stop, authorities found that Carter and the passengers did not have active warrants.

Carter was charged with resisting a traffic stop by fleeing, owning a vehicle and operating a vehicle without maintaining financial responsibility, driving without a valid license and failing to display license plates.

Yust was arrested Sept. 11, 2016, at Carter’s mobile home. Yust has been in police custody since and the double murder case remains pending in Cass County Circuit Court.

Carter pleaded not guilty to the charges last June.

He is represented by Craig Napier, a public defender from Harrisonville. Napier declined to comment on the case Wednesday.

Greater Kansas City Crime Stoppers most wanted fugitives. Updated Feb. 9, 2018.

Kaitlyn Schwers: 816-234-7909, @kaitlynschwers