He eluded police for 3 weeks; the Missouri River finally did him in

Police had been trying to arrest Shane C. Hyde for three weeks, suspecting he had stolen a car, but he kept eluding them.

This week, they finally got their man — but only after he allegedly led them on a high-speed chase, swam across the Missouri River, hid in woods and then tried to swim across the river again.

Jackson County prosecutors on Thursday charged Hyde, 29, of Kansas City, with tampering and resisting arrest in the Wednesday chase. Rescue boats from both the Kansas City, Kan., and Kansas City fire departments were launched to rescue Hyde as he tried to swim across the river while trying to escape police.

Hyde is being held in the Jackson County Detention Center in lieu of $25,000 bond.

The chase Wednesday began in Kansas City when a driver rammed a police vehicle and then sped away.

According to court records:

A woman reported to police May 16 that her white 2014 Dodge Journey was stolen from 24th Street and Prospect Avenue.

Officers spotted the car Wednesday afternoon in a parking lot in the 4400 block of Independence Avenue. The officers recognized the car as one that had eluded them and other officers several times over the past three weeks.

Predicting that occupants of the car would flee from police again, undercover officers moved into the area and conducted surveillance along with a police helicopter overhead.

They followed the car to the parking lot of an apartment near Independence and Kensington avenues. When the occupants spotted the officers coming toward them, the driver, identified as Hyde, threw the car in reverse and appeared to intentionally ram into the front of a patrol car with two officers inside.

The car sped westbound on Independence Avenue, nearly crashing into other motorists. The driver weaved in and out of traffic along Independence Avenue, reaching speeds of 80 mph. He sped westbound onto Interstate 70 from Prospect Avenue and into Kansas City, Kan. The car then exited into the West Bottoms and crashed through a fence near a railroad track.

The driver then sped onto the levee along the Missouri River while officers followed him. He drove off the levee near Levee and Sunshine roads in Kansas City, Kan., and then into the Missouri River.

Two passengers got out but were arrested moments later along the shoreline.

The driver jumped into the river from the car and swam across to the Missouri side. He got out of the water in Riverside and tried to hide in some trees but was quickly spotted by a police helicopter.

As officers approached him, the driver jumped back into the water and tried to swim back to the Kansas side. However, he appeared to be too exhausted to make it across and signaled for help.

The Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department had already launched a boat into the river and rescued Hyde. Kansas City police took him into custody.

Glenn E. Rice: 816-234-4341, @GRicekcstar