Wyandotte & Leavenworth

KCK firefighters rescue woman from burning house

Kansas City, Kan., firefighters rescued a woman from a hospital bed in a burning ranch home Friday morning.

The fire, in the 2400 block of North 59th Terrace, began just before 11 a.m. when the woman’s grandson was making lunch .

“I was trying to cook a chicken sandwich on the stove and I went to lie down, and the next thing I knew, the whole house was black,” said 19-year-old Dominique Wilson. He went to his grandmother and then called 911.

Wilson and a Fire Department investigator who happened to be in the area tried to remove the woman from her bed in an interior bedroom. However, more firefighters were needed to rescue the woman, said Mike Quinn, a senior operations chief.

Although she did not appear to be seriously injured, she was taken to a hospital to be evaluated for possible smoke inhalation, Quinn said.

Fire officials said the grandson’s unattended food caused the fire, which caused $60,000 damage to the house and its contents.

  Comments