A Shawnee middle school student was charged Thursday with aggravated battery for allegedly throwing flaming hand sanitizer onto another student.
The incident occurred Wednesday at Hocker Grove Middle School in Shawnee. The 13-year-old victim was treated for second-degree burns that did not require hospitalization.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
The 12-year-old boy accused in the case allegedly ignited the sanitizer in his own hand and then flung it at the other boy.
He made his initial appearance on the charge Thursday in the juvenile division of Johnson County District Court and was ordered held in detention pending his next court hearing on May 7.